Clear all

Just theoretically...

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

...If I wanted a pedalboard with the following functions, all in seperate stompboxes with a top limit of $250 per pedal, what would you pick? As much analog as possible would be nice :)

Must include:
-Wah
-Overdrive
-Flat-out metal distortion
-Flanger
-Delay
-Chorus
-Reverb
-Looper
-EQ
-Footpedal tuner
-Noise reducer

Any big holes? Anything useless? Trim the fat, tell me what I want. That's why I posted here :)

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

wah - I'd go crybaby 535Q as there's poss. the widest range of sounds available in a wah in that pedal

overdrive - I'd seriously look at the blackstar HT-Drive, or I'd consider either the ProCo Solo or ProCo rat 2 both of which can (AFAIK, not so knowledgable on the Solo) be used for both drive and full-on metal distortion. If not, then I'd look at the ProCo range for full metal dist anyways. the TurboRat or something elese may be better suited to metal playing, tho I've found the Rat 2 more than supplies.

delay - if you can afford it, I'd consider the Moog analog delay pedal (cant recall its proper number, MFblah-de-blah). the Boss one is okay too, though, but thats not analog, while the Moog is (AFAIK).

reverb - ElectroHarmonix Holy Grail (or the HolyGrail plues, or whatever they've called their HG but-with-more-buttons pedal)

footpedal tuner - the Boss TU2 or whatever number it is

depending onn the band setup, I'd be inclined to ditch the chorus pedal and replace it with the MXR Phase 90, Phase 90+, or Phase 100 (all phaser pedals, you'll probs find more use for this). But again, depending on what you're playing, you can get away with using the wah to create a 'phaser style' sound.

personally, I'm not big on pedals, so I can't really recommend beyond that. But I did recently notice that both Electroharmonix and Roger Meyer had some tasty looking EQ pedals. the ones I've nodded to I've found really useful, sturdy and work well in both live and studio situations, but if you're new to pedals, I'd encourage you get as few as poss. but get good quality ones. work out what they can and can't do and then add to/subtract from your setup based on usefulness. Also, a lot of pedals can be mimicked/rendered useless by a bit more careful thinking re your guitar playing, in my experience.

personally I'd ditch the flanger (can be mimicked often by a tremolo bar), chorus (I've never needed one, even in a trio setting doing heavy rock and blues), looper (but again, that's my experience and its use will depend on what you're playing), and EQ (with the multitude of EQ-related buttons on guitar, pedals and amp, the pedal tends to have a lesser or, at least, less predictable result, IMHO).

noise reducer is pretty crucial though, and I'm looking at those myself. can't recommend as I've yet to try any for long periods, but I recall MXR do one which caught my eye. and blackstar do a HT-dist pedal too, so ya might wanna check that if you really want a drive AND a distortion pedal separate.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I don't use all those EFX, but can recommend:

Overdrive (+ crunchy distortion, but no metal): VooDoo Lab Sparkle Drive Includes a "clean" control that mixes clean with "dirty" signal, as well as the usual gain, tone, level controls. True bypass.

Delay: Line6 DL-4 Yes, it's a modeler, but a lovely one that includes many analog models, some really useful things you-never-thought-of and ... a short looper. True bypass or not -- programmable, as there are situations for each. There's a reason this one often makes the "best all-time EFX pedal" lists

EQ: MXR 10-band graphic EQ. True bypass.

Tuner: Peterson "Strobo-stomp" pedal (I have the full sized unit -- very cool)

What, no volume pedals? Add one (at EFX chain output) or two (in and out) Ernie Ball volume pedals.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

personally I'd ditch the flanger (can be mimicked often by a tremolo bar) The right amount of trem + moderately wet delay can equal flanging.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

lol, I just sussed that from many a year in school being asked to play Smells Like Teen Spirit by the lil 12 yr old 'goths'. The delay addition would make it more convincing though.

+1 on the MXR EQ, I totally forgot about that one. v. tasty, and I was tempted by it, but like I said, lotsa-pedals just aint my thang.

I'll keep an eye out on that strobo-stomp, though. pedals are one thing, really kewl flashing lights are something else entirely....and, yeah, being in tune helps, too. but the lights........ :lol:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 on the MXR EQ, I totally forgot about that one. v. tasty, and I was tempted by it, but like I said, lotsa-pedals just aint my thang.

More likely to use my EQ recording. Live it's only overdrive, delay, volume, and occasionally wah.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, you are asking us for pedals we like, you might not like what we like.

For wahs, I like the Vox847A. It just sounds superior to any wahs I've used. I also own a original Crybaby, it is excellent too. I own a Morley Bad Horsie and really don't like it at all, very nasal, not nearly as musical as the Vox or even the Dunlop. But the Vox is best with clean tones, it might be the best with clean tones, but I don't like it as much with distortions.

Overdrive? Hey, everybody loves the Ibanez TS808. The Marshall Guv'nor Plus II is excellent, especially if you love Marshall. It is a Marshall in a box. :twisted:

Flanger? If you can find an old Arion Flanger on E Bay, buy it. Amazing.

Distortion? I own an 80s ProCo Rat, I got lucky on that one. It is really an excellent distortion, but I wouldn't call it an over-the-top Metal distortion. It is a more of a fuzz if you ask me. I am not really into Metal, so I can't give advice here.

If you are not concerned about brand names, the Danelectro Fish and Chips is an excellent EQ. It sounds every bit as good as others costing 2-3 times as much.

For pedal tuner go with the Boss TU-2. I've owned one for years and it is excellent. You can really see it well in the dark, I love the mute feature. It has lots of features I don't even use, but it's great. It will also power up to 7 pedals with the optional daisy chain. I used to use that and it worked with many various pedals. Very durable as well.

For chorus I like the Electro Harmonix Small Clone. It sounds awesome IMHO.

My 2 cents

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Wes, if you ever come to sell that 80's Rat, give me first dibs, I'll take it for sure, lol. I'm a big ProCo fan, hopin' to check that new Solo sometime soon, too.

I don't do lotsa pedals, but I do do a growing collection of different drives/distortions/fuzz. 8)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

On the way to the music store tomorrow... :D

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Scrybe

Yeah, the old Rats were great. My supervisor at work gave me one (well, at least I thought he did) and I was really impressed with the distortion, very tight, no muddiness. Then he asked for it back, so I went on E Bay and found the same model. I lucked up and got it for about $50 if I remember correctly. It has the original circuit. I had been reading up on them so I knew the good models. I had to buy a special adaptor to put it on my pedalboard as the polarity is center positive. Great pedal, maybe a little big and difficult to put on a pedalboard because of the rubber feet.

Here is a good page describing the Rat through the years. Mine is the 2nd version 1981-83

http://happybob.com/rstrand/rat/rat_versions.htm

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote