16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
10.9 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

While googling I found this video. The guy plays a very 'full' cover of I shot the Sheriff with the help of one of those loop stations. It is very cool the way in which the guy adds each new sound (around 2 minutes!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PjGOcPV5tk

It is true that these 'pedals' are certainly funny but do you think it could help for practicing? A computer with recording software could be similar? Better? Different?

Thanks!

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nuno,

I definitely think it would help with practicing. I was thinking about getting one myself a couple months ago but I deceided to hold off until I move in the fall. I was looking at this one from Boss http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RC20XL-Loop-Station?sku=151352

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

It is true that these 'pedals' are certainly funny but do you think it could help for practicing? A computer with recording software could be similar? Better? Different?

Nuno,

I have a looper that I use for practice - the DigiTech JamMan. At the time that I purchased it there was nothing better at the price. I'm not sure if that still holds now. I use it for laying down backing tracks to play over and I also can transfer songs from computer. This works really well for practice and is a great aid.

You can certainly use a computer instead of a looper but also realize that you'll need a good sound input device, a foot pedal board (i.e. Behringer FCB1010), midi input on the computer (often on the sound input device), audio software on the computer that responds to midi input, and a lot of time and patience to wire it all up. In the end it will be more powerful but also more complex.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I recently purchased a stomp pedal looper from Boss Boss RC-2 Loop Station Effect Pedal and love it. I don't know why I waited so long to get one. It's like having someone to jam with all the time. This little guy has all of the features I need right now. Will most likely move up to a better unit in the future.

It helps with pracising solos, if I have an idea I can instanly record it and work with it. I would highly suggest getting a loop station.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! :D

I'll read the user's manuals for comparing the features. I suppose the two Boss units are the entry and middle options (there is the RC50) and they will have different options. The Digitech seems very interesting as well because it has an USB port and a compact flash slot.

Chris: The RC20 seems a very complete unit. The two pedals can do the operation easier or with more functionalities. Although I've read that you can use an external pedal with the RC2.

Hyperborea: I agree, I used to use the GarageBand, making some tracks with drums and bass and then recording myself the rhythmic guitar, but it is more complex and also it implies a 'recording' (there is a thread on recording and nervous). These units seem simpler from the point of view of the results and also the use for jamming or practicing. You always have the computer for some powerful issues or for a 'serious recording'.

Blueline: Perhaps, it seems very interesting start with the RC2 and update it in the future if needed. Even perhaps you can use two units simultaneously by maintaining some order in the use.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nuno,

I thought the RC-20 was just about right for what I wanted to do with it, mainly for laying down rhythms and then practicing my soloing and practicing leads. I don't remember but the RC-20 allows you to record from a CD and I beleive it also lets you record for more minues than the Rc-2. The Rc-50 was more than I was looking for.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

The RC2 is perfect for my needs. I can record 10 or so different phrases and save them to the unit. It has a built drum machine and you can vary the tempo. There are more sophisticated unit out there for sure. But for the quick and dirty recording, this is perfect. Like I said, its like having someone to jam with at all times.

I think you are correct. Recording on the PC is done when you want to get serious. I would even go as far to say that I would not hesitate to record on the loop station and then into the PC. I'd bet it would sound fine!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I use my RC-2 all the time. The only problem I have is choosing which loop I don't want anymore. I wish I could back them up on my PC.
It isn't a problem for me, I don't know more than 11 eleven songs! :lol:

Seriously, it seems the option could be interesting. But... I don't know if I absolutely wrong... perhaps you can simply record the loop in the computer by means of some jack-to-usb unit (cables, external sound cards, multi-effects) with a software (Audacity, Cubase, GarageBand). Then you could send it again to the pedal.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I do. I send it to my MBox and record it (the phrase/somg I want to keep) using Pro Tools. Works out great.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I use my RC-2 all the time. The only problem I have is choosing which loop I don't want anymore. I wish I could back them up on my PC.

That's a big plus to the DigiTech. It allows up to 99 tracks and you can move them back and forth from the computer either by way of the USB cable or by taking the CF card and using a CF reader on the computer.
It isn't a problem for me, I don't know more than 11 eleven songs!

As a practice tool you often don't want the whole song but instead want only a segment in a loop so that you can work on the lead or rhythm part for that only. Plus even if you put in the whole song you may want to build it up with and without the rhythm guitar track so that you can work it. I sometimes have 10 or so tracks for one song depending on the complexity of it.

Even if you want to use the looper for a performance tool you would also probably want multiple loops for a song - maybe one loop each for intro, verse, chorus, bridge, and outro.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I was kidding but I agree with you (Hyperborea). Always it will be easier if you can upload/download the loops via a digital link (USB, CF) and if you can put more loops in the unit.

My keyboard has a similar thing if you use the 'automatic mode' (I don't know the correct name). There are several preprogramed loops for intro, outro and two kinds of verse. Sometimes I'd prefer it has more 'loops'.

ReplyQuote
(@grum88)

Hi Guys,

Im new to loop stations have been looking at the Boss R-2 and R-20xl.
Now that you guys have mentioned the Digitech models Im totally torn as the newer Digitech models look pretty sweet!!

Can any of you give me some insight into which is a better bet in terms of brands and basic quality?
Or is it just the usual case of two quality brands that you just need to decide between like a gibson and a fender so to speak.

Im leaning towards a digitech simply because they seem to have packed a bit more into there devices and have a bigger and newer range. The Jamman stereo is certainly taking my eye especially because of the PC program that enables you to make play lists and save riffs etc.

thanks grum88

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Welcome to GN!

Old thread... I finally bought a Boss RC-2. I did it some weeks ago so I don't try all the functions. I only use it for practicing when I am improvising over some chord progressions or if I want to play a melody over the chords. Initially it seems a little bit tricky.

I also was reading about the new Digitech Jamman, the Solo has more functions than the RC-2 and much more memory for recordings but it misses some functions that I want to keep. For example, the drum tracks, they are not great in the RC-2 (very, very basic) but the Jamman is almost a metronome.

Differences between the RC-2 and RC-20. Basically, the RC-20 is a twin pedal, two switches, it is easier depending on your use, and it also has the reverse effect. They are not interesting for me.

The Digitech is more expensive than the Boss and I only use it sporadically, one or twice per week, I am not interested on loop-based tracks, it is just for practicing. If I want to record several tracks, I use my computer.

Now, on brands. I didn't check the Jamman but I checked some other Digitech pedals and I don't like them. I want to check a new Hardwire line, it seems they improve the tone.

I never used Boss before. A friend of mine don't like them and I always followed his advice. Now I have a Boss and I understand him. Let us say it does not sound too bad but it definitely change your tone and I like my old tone, I need a looper pedal, I don't need a pedal for modifying my tone. It is my first Boss pedal and probably my last Boss pedal. But Boss has many fans.

Obviously, these are my experiences and my personal tastes. As I said some people like Boss and Digitech. My use is also very specific.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@grum88)

@ Nuno.

Thanks for that!
Good to hear some other feedback.

After much research Im definately going with the Jamman Stereo.
Although it dosn't come with the drum tracks that the boss does it has a bunch of slots (think 99!) to put in whatever you want so you can grab drum Tracks or whatever you want from your PC.
It also has a loop program that works derectly with PC or MAC, this to me is a huge advantage coz' you can save your tracks and make set/practice lists etc.
Also I want something for both practice and performance so need to go beyond the RC-2 I think.

I saw a guy doing heaps of demos on youtube with Digitech gear, and for me they seem the most versatile loopers.
Trouble is now my budgets gone from less than $250 to $500-$600-$700 ;)
Not only am I after the Jamman stereo now i want the RP500 effects pedal.
Lets hope they last, thats my biggest concern don't want units where stupid stuff like nobs falling off and the like happen.

Heres a link to the youtube guy who does all the demos for Digitech http://www.youtube.com/user/ralfjung
He's really really thorough and a good player which always helps. He also has a clear understanding of audio which is really helpful, much to learn from this guy whether you are interested in Digitech or not.

Cheers G!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You are welcome! :D

The Jamman Stereo is a good pedal, it has many good features like the connection to a computer through USB. Yes, it has 99 slots in its internal memory and you can use external memory cards up to 16 Gb where you can use other 99 tracks, practically you can put there infinite loops.

Surely you will find a lot of fun with that pedal! When you get it and you play with it, tell us.

And thank you for the link, I knew the Ralf Jung videos. I agree, he does very good reviews and he is great player.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2