Clear all

Mesa Dual Rec and PODxt Live...

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@sparx)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone!

Ill start by introducing myself, im SparX, i drum for a band called Honour Among None. Yeh a drummer....
In the interests of expanding my 'knowledge' beyond 'hitting things with sticks' I take a keen interest in studio sound and production / live re-enforcement etc. This will give you a little insight into why a drummer would even be bothering with this 'problem'.

One of the bands guitarists recently bought a Mesa Dual Rec, to compliment the other guitarist's Dual Rec. Previously he was using his PODxt Live board with a Marshall JCM2000.

I personally would ditch the POD and use the Mesa's (OBVIOUSLY) superior sound. However he is reluctant to ditch his now pretty much obsolete amp modeling live board...

Ive looked the various manuals and played with the set up of putting into an FX loop on the amp, in line etc etc etc.

I guess im looking for some guidence from some people who know... what do you guys think would be the ultimate use for, and get the most from, both the POD and the Dual Rec.

Are my first assumptions correct? is the POD just surplus to requirements? Can i get some kind of MIDI break-out cable for the selection of channels on the Amp from the MIDI-out of the POD? (as is hinted at in both manuals).

From what i understand the only thing he REALLY doesnt want to lose is the WAH effect (saying that he has got a CryBaby that needs repairing)

Sorry for the lengthy read, and your patience toward a drummer trying to better himself!

Cheers!

SparX

token drummer

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This may sound like a dumb answer, but if all he is concerned about is losing the wah effect, then why doesn't he simply buy a good wah pedal or have his Crybaby repaired? That's what I would do.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sparx)
Topic starter  

true that,

He basicly wants to make the most of everything he has, and if there is an ideal set up using both the pod and the mesa together in some way.. the more i play with it the more i think that the POD is pretty much superfluous to requirements...

thanks for the reply any ways man!

token drummer

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

All I can speak is from my own experience. Over the years I tried most everything. I have owned quite a few multi-efx and modelers. They are good in that you can get many great tones at the push of a footswitch. So if you are in a band that plays a wide variety of styles, or uses lot of effects, they are great. They rarely get great tone, but they capture the basic essence of great tones.

And then there is the super simple approach, basic guitar and amp, maybe a few individual pedals. You usually get superior tones this method, but you are very limited. You are not usually gonna get a great Surf tone from a Marshall or Mesa amp.

So, a lot depends on what you are gonna be playing. If you are playing Hard Rock, you are probably going to do best with a great sounding amp like the Mesa and a few effects like chorus, delay, and wah. That is all you need.

If you play a variety of styles, go with the multi-efx modeling amp.

Just my own opinion, but if you are using lots of modeling, seems like a waste of a great tube amp. Modeling actually sounds better through a solid-state amp. Just my opinion.

A good tube amp is best for cranking up and getting heavy sounds.

Just my 2 cents.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@sparx)
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes,

that was pretty much the kinda response I was expecting. The dual rec head was built for the type of music we play it seemed to me that the POD would be subtracting from the whole set up... as you rightly say, why model a tube amp and its tone when you have the tube amp right there...

Im gonna get busy fixing the Crybaby from hell. I think alot of alan's (the guitarist in question) problem is a bit of ignorance as to the mesa's capability and the range of options it offers as-is...

Thanks for your replies wes!

token drummer

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sparx

Glad you didn't take that as criticism, it wasn't intended that way.

Yeah, if you guys play heavy music, throw that PodXT away! :twisted:

ReplyQuote