Clear all

Mimic a Modular Filter Sound

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, here I am working on Dani California and it seems that Frusciante uses a Modular Filter for a couple of parts. That being said, I don't have the money (or the interest) for a mod filter. Is there an effect, or rather a combination of effects that will get me close to this sound without having to buy a filter? I'm thinking some sort of flange and/or wah-wah...any suggestions?

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I'm very familar with the song: if you're talking about the part in the verse that's played on top of the chords, then you could get a pretty similar effect with a wah-wah (or an autowah). If you mean the bridge part where the chords seem to "swirl" around in the mix, I would probably use a phase-shifter. Similarly, at the end of the song during the guitar solo when it really speeds up, there is a phase-shifter effect for that part which makes it seem like the notes are swirling around in the mix. A really cool effect, I like it 8)

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks steve-o, much appreciated. I was talking more about the part played over the chords in the verse. I have a wah and an auto-wah, along with a multi-FX pedal that has pretty much everything else, so I should be able to finagle something. As cool as it would be to have a moogerfooger or murf pedal, I just can't afford it now. :( I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.

Also, here's an extremely informative link in which Frusciante dissects the effects he used on every part of Dani California. Enjoy. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3dUUj4_4Q
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejaDHH87tRo&watch_response

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Cool, Thanks! He's one of my favorite guitarists.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I ended up using some compression along with the auto-wah on my amp and it sounds pretty good. Not exact, but pretty good. I'll keep tinkering with sounds to see if I can add my own flare to it. It's a great song to add some variation to. (as Fru shows in his live performances)

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Another idea would be to try to find a Envelope Filter effect on the multi-fx pedal.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

HA! Thanks!

Quite randomly, I've been looking for these 2 videos since this friday after seeing them months ago. Pretty interesting. Given me some good ideas.

Personally I have an ElectroHarmonix Tube Zipper which is my envelope filter. Still need a phaser, but it's a pretty cool pedal that Frusciante doesn't use much recently (since going nuts on Moogs) but used loads not so many years ago. To be honest, it's nice just for that tube overdrive kick it gives to my otherwise digital/solidstate set up, but as I have come to agree with Brian Eno and Frucsciante, unpredictable modelling equipment is definitely the way forward. Although it can be incredibly frustrating if it has a "bad day" (constantly picks out the "wrong" frequencies to your ears), when it does it right it can create some pretty unique sounds.

One thing I have never got used to is my Boss DS-2 Turbo Dist. (No highjacking intended :) )They're well used by most big modern day guitarists, but I can't believe they haven't modded it or something, because I don't think it's ever sounded right to my ears tone-wise. I swear it's just incredibly sharp and thin or else very,very flat and thick. I don't want to get rid of it because I remember someone said they might be out of production or something? Any ideas?

Oh, and:

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:Kj0JPjiTTqoJ:www.guitarplayer.com/story.asp%3Fstorycode%3D15789+john+frusciante+explains+how+he+plays+dani+claifornia&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=uk

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'll have to try the envelope filter idea...just never crossed my mind. I have a Schecter C1+, so I needed the compression pedal to try and get the 50's strat sound, and it should be interesting to hear it with the envelope filter.

Clazon- Have you tried a DS-1 instead of the DS-2? Not sure if they have better tone or not, but you might be able to trade in the DS-2 at a music store. I don't have any Boss pedals, so I couldn't really say what to do. Also, I saw the article you linked in GP when it came out, and I wish every artist would go through and talk about their songs like that. But where would the fun be in that? :lol:

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

The Ds2 has a DS1 setting. To me that's even worse.

I'm pretty sure for whatever reason that my tone is just generally being sappeed in a chain of just 4/5 pedals! I think I'll have to start a new thread and stuff. It would also be useful to have some pro come round and guide me through setting everything up, tonewise. Because I roughly know what I want, but I don't know what to twiddle with to get it! Oh well...

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote