Mini Humbuckre in Strat

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK opinions needed. One of the other guys in the band gave me a couple of mini humbuckers toput in my MIM Strat. One is a black Seymour Duncan and the other is white (looks like a regular Strat pickup) anyway that's not the important point.

The point is that one has stacked single coils and one has them side by side. What I am wondering is if there is any sonic difference between the two.

I am really looking to fatten up the sound a bit.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, actually a minihumbucker is a regular humbucker that fits in a P90 or smaller sized hole. That said, it sounds like you have a HotRail and a stacked humbucker. In theory the HotRail will sound like a regular humbucker and the stacked humbucker will sound like a single coil pickup without the hum. I have 2 Duncan HotRail pickups one each in my MIM Strat and Squire Tele and a HotRail clone GF Lil Killer in my new project Strat. They sound alot like full sized humbuckers to me, maybe a little brighter but it might be the guitars they are in. I used to have a guitar with stacked humbuckers. They didn't hum but were a little less bright than single coil pickups. The side by side will sound fatter in my opinion. Hope that helps.

Mini Humbucker

Duncan HotRail

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yea TR one is the HotRail. I think that's the one I'll put in.

Thanks for the info.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Cool! I think you're gonna like it. :twisted:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

:D thats the one I have in my Squier its awesome, its the only one I use O_O the others kinda suck ( it came with that pickup off Ebay :D )

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well I'm glad I decided to reread this post and what TR said because I finally am going to make the swap tonight and I was leaning toward the stacked humbucker because it's the same color cream as the guitar so you wouldn't even notice it but I really what something less bright than what I have so the Hot Rail is going to be the one.

ReplyQuote
(@atguitarist)

I used to have a strat with Lil' Screamin' Demon in the bridge position - that is a great pickup (too bad that guitar was stolen from me :cry: )

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Well I'm glad I decided to reread this post and what TR said because I finally am going to make the swap tonight and I was leaning toward the stacked humbucker because it's the same color cream as the guitar so you wouldn't even notice it but I really what something less bright than what I have so the Hot Rail is going to be the one.

I remember this thread from before & during Summer. A good choice, the stacked humbucker, with the cream color and single coil look.

I like to use them, from DiMarzio, that's just my preference for the same reason or looks, and for the sound which is somehow cleaner, and I like 'em split too. :lol:

But if you wanted to go with a bit more raunchiness and dirt, first of all there's Malmsteen's DiMarzio HS3 Strat Stack, I'm using it, and SD Lil '59 and JB JR, those side-by-sides with rails.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well Bluejay I did end up putting the Hot Rail in. It really doesn't sond like a very big change although It is a little less bright than it used to be and maybe a tad more crunch.

For what I'm playing it's OK maybe someday I'll try something else.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Oh well, good job cnev, using what you got. Cheers and good luck with everything. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote