MultiEffects?!?!

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey All,

as you might notice, I've been selling off a lot of gear to get a Multieffect unit.

I'm looking at a few right now:
New Vox Tonelab LE
Used Tonelab SE
New Zoom G92TT

I have a great tube amp that I currently like the sound of. All of the units above seem to have great processors. I'm not one to use multiple modulations or delays at the same time, so one of each is great.

Any suggestions on which? I'm not a huge metal guy. The "Z" pedal on the zoom looks awesome in that it has an X and Y axis so you can do a few kinds of things with your right foot at once.

The manual doesn't seem to scratch the surface of what the zoom is capable of and the learning curve is steep, by the looks. I'm also not sure about the stability of the Z pedal and if it will last long term.

I like the look of the tonelab SE w/ the 2 expression pedals. I've been trying to figure out if you have to use modeling with it or if there's an option to disable it.

Some of the features that really interest me are the expression settings, on the fly tuning changes, and harmonizer. 2 expression pedals is definitely a plus.

Anyone used these and have pro's/cons? or other suggestions

Thanks

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I've been trying to figure out if you have to use modeling with it or if there's an option to disable it.

My understanding is that if you don't want modeling, the main choices are the Boss ME-50 and its little sister, the ME-20. Another would be the new Digitech RP500 which has modeling but it can be disabled.

Not sure about the others, but search "hear here" for some of Gerry's posts using the Vox LE (I think.) Great tone!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am a big fan of Zoom pedals, but I am not familiar with that model. I wouldn't be overly worried about any Zoom being complicated, from my experience they are the easiest pedals to tweak, and I've tried a few different brands. Now, that said, Zoom definitely leans toward heavier tones. They have excellent distortions, in my opinion they have the best sounding distortions bar none. Their modulations like Chorus, Phase, Vibrato are good, but not great. Usually when you get a Zoom multi-efx, you find the presets loaded with modern super distortions, not so many clean or vintage tones. But Zoom pedals are super easy to tweak, so if you spend a little time you can load any tones you want.

I have no experince with the Vox models except I've tried a few at the music store a couple of times. They sounded very good to me, and you get a lot of vintage sound presets. So that might be where you want to look.

I would go down to the local music store or Guitar Center. GC usually has a display with various brands of multi-efx that you can sit down and try out.

And most multi-efx now allow you to disable amp modeling. However, amp modeling can be good if you go straight into your PA, or straight into the Effects Loop Return on your amp bipassing the preamp section. The problem with going straight into your amp's instument input when using amp modeling is the model gets colored by your amp's preamp section. But go into the Effects Loop Return and it works very well. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the help guys!

I tried out the vox le and it's pretty nice.
I ultimately ordered the zoom from sweetwater! Their sales engineers and return policy is great. If you're not satisfied with it, you can return the item. It's not too much of a risk if i don't like it

http://www.sweetwater.com/help/returns-exchanges.php

I also found out that they're located in indiana. They informed me that I would be receiving it TODAY with the free shipping (i ordered last night). They said they also have a 2 year warranty on the item.

So... looks like i'm getting it tonight! Work can't go fast enough.

Thanks to all of you who bought my stuff :D

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Terrific!

Hey, after you use it for a few days, come back and write us a little review, your likes, dislikes, features, etc...
It's always good to hear stuff like that.

Have fun with your new pedal!

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

the Zoom you've got is the big brother of the G2 with some added features. It's about as user-friendly as any other modeler with loads of options. They're easier then many make it out to be but it might be a while before you really start creating killer sounds. As for sound: the chipset Zoom uses is, at this moment, technically the best. There 96khz processing is way beyond anything Vox, Boss or Line6 can offer. Don't mean it'll be everyone's taste ofcourse but it's one heck of a powerhouse. As for warranty, the Zoom quality of these units has nothing to do with those ancient plastic ones popular in the late 90s. They're well build, they've got a proper QA deperartment now and with proper care it'll last you a long time.

My personal opinion: quality effects, very hi-fi though not as insanely tweakble as the GT8/10. The models are pretty detailled, none of the 'muffled' sound older modelers had. I espescially like their smooth fat lead sounds. It's better with JC120 cleans then Fender cleans and has a pretty kickass 80s marshall sound, too. Finally: it's a great unit for direct recording. Plug in, hit record in your software program and there'r you go.With some creative routing you can even start ampfarming. :D Let us know you're experiences!

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

so i've had this for almost a week now. I'm going into the effects loop on my amp to get the best sound out of it

My initial impression was, "wow, this is hard to figure out!" After I read the manual twice, it was a piece of cake with most things.

Most of the effects are pretty good. My opinion on the wah is that they're not as good as having a real wah pedal. The harmonizers and octave effects are great!

There's even a rage/Tom Morello preset to do all of the pitch shifting things.

With that said, I don't use the presets. I immediately started making my own. I have a whole bank dedicated to the Roland JC w/ various combinations of chorus, delay, reverb and wah - so I can switch between combinations of these in a footclick. If I want a specific combination, I can go into Manual mode where it acts like a normal pedalboard with my presets.

I have some patches setup for the Overdrive, which is based off of the Boss OD-1. I really like this for crunchy blues and classic rock.

The HW Clean sound (Hiwatt custom 100) seems to sound a lot like my natural amp setting, so i have a lot of patches for this.

Theres no delay or anything when switch patches or banks. The tuner is easy to use. The Acoustic Simulator sounds pretty good.

The eq is really easy, and changing things on the fly is easy.

I'm very impressed with the sound...I'm sure that I've hardly scratched the surface on it - in that I've only messed with the EQ,Gain, and level mostly on the amp settings.

Unfortunately, I do not have a midi interface on my pc and cannot use the librarian to edit patches on my pc. The midi interface is also required to update drivers, so I have not done that either.

The zPedal is a fun toy, but i doubt i'll use the horizontal axis much

Positives: sound quality, ease of use (after reading the manual), variety of effects and amp sims, 2 expression pedals that can be configured in tons of ways. The zpedal is a fun feature. Solid Construction,cubase LE comes with this. Speed of patch switching

Negatives: some of the effects (only a few) aren't too great compared to the real deal, midi interface required to use Librarian program and to update drivers. No bag included and zoom doesn't make one. I will be receiving the CyberTwin footcontroller bag from Sweetwater soon which is supposed to be a good fit for it.

i'm very happy with this!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Unfortunately, I do not have a midi interface on my pc and cannot use the librarian to edit patches on my pc. The midi interface is also required to update drivers, so I have not done that either.

I grabbed one of these:

from my local music store for less than $50.
It works with my V-amp and my son's Casio keyboard.
Didn't have to install any software, Windows recognized it, and it automagically started working.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote