Clear all

Must Have Effects Chain??

22 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I am making the BIG switch, from my modelling amp (Vox AD30VT), to a tube amp (Crate V16 Palomino). I feel in LOVE with the creamy sounds at Guitar Center!

So, now I am asking you to weigh in on your MUST HAVE effects chain. The only rule is, no more than 4 in the chain. Here is mine so far, but I am up for suggestions:

1. Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
2. Ibanez Tube Screamer
3. Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
4. Probably a delay pedal, but not sure what yet!

I don't really want more than 4, because I want a fairly basic set up. So, let me know your choices!

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I'd keep 1-3, and bump the delay for a chorus pedal. Ibanez makes a nice analog reissue, or a Boss Super chorus.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

ONLY 4!? I A/B amps now. So...

Marshall JCM800 with a Fender Deluxe 5E3 Clone

into...

Fulltone Clyde Wah (or any McCoy Clone)
Keeley TS9 Plus
Keeley TS9 Baked
Keeley Modded Boss TR-2 Tremelo

The amps are both miced and mixed to proper volumes and I can either switch between or mix them in together. Offers some very sweet sounds when stacked with the Tubescreamers! :D

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I vote delay because it also has nice reverbs.
the crybaby could go to the waiting room unless you use it ALOT.
add a volume pedal and you're done.
chorus could be nice. I have one but barely use it now; possibly aphase Im going thru.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I said only 4, because I wanted to get feedback on your ESSENTIAL pedals. Otherwise, I would get suggestions for a chain of 15 effects! :lol: :shock: :lol:

I am leaning toward the Ibanez DE7 delay/echo - it seems to have the most sounds.

Keep the suggestions coming, I am not married to anything yet, except my Tube Screamer, which is a MUST for me.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

My effects chain:

Guitar> VOX Wah Wah>Fender Hotrod deluxe amp>people's ears

Its simple, but effective.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

i try to keep it simple

Guitar:
Morley Little Alligator Volume Pedal
Morley Wah
MXR Dyna Comp
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Noise Suppressor:

Hot Rod Deluxe...

Sometimes the wah is in sometimes its not its just an extra and If I'm in the mood or the style is right I'll throw it in..... I need to add a delay but for now my verb on the Hot Rod is fine.... If you take time to tweak the blues driver with the Hot Rods built in Drive channel the Tube Screamer is obsolete. I see no point in having a "Tube Screamer" when you own a TUBE amp and can get awesome tone from it....

Just my 2 cents

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

MUST have?

Volume knob.

Everything else is extra :shock:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

DOD Ice Box Chorus is SWEET IMHO! As for others...

DigiTech DigiVerb X-Series Digital Reverb

Also knowing what kind of music you like might help as well....but others I have include:

DOD Grunge (Digitech makes a SWEET Grunge pedal as well)

Digitech Bad Monkey

Digitech Main Squeeze Compressor (or any other compressor)

Digitech Hot Head (For those times when you can't crank the volume on the tube to get classic rock distortion....

By the way..YES I am a big fan of Digitech & DOD...I have a few Danelectros as well...

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I think the volume pedal is very underused, but wah is the only must have in my book, especially if your amp has two overdrive channels like the marshall DSL series.

I'm not a big FX person, although I've recently enjoyed playing with a delay on my digital practice amp. I think it depends on the type of music you play to a certain degree. If you play country, you pretty much need a compressor, for example.

Hope this helps.
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

I am making the BIG switch, from my modelling amp (Vox AD30VT), to a tube amp (Crate V16 Palomino).

Be sure to post a review on the amp .. I played one of the Crate Palomino's briefly at GC, it sounded quite good. But the place was a zoo, and I was not really looking for an amp etc, so I only played it for couple of minutes.
(PS. I currently have a Vox AD30VT too ..)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input, everybody. I am pretty set with my first three. The EQ, then Tube screamer, and then wah. Just not sure what to put for the last one.

Does anyone think the ORDER of my effects are wrong?

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I think I would like some A/B boxes, that way I could hook one end up to a nice clean Fender Tube, then the other one to a Mesa Boogie or something with an awesome crunch. As far as effects go, I'd probably get a tubescreamer, wah-wah and have another A/B box going into a synth.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think you got the order backwards. I would go Wah first, Tubescreamer, and then EQ. Of course nothing is written in stone, and putting effects in a particular order can give you an individual sound. But there are reasons for putting effects in a certain order. Here is a great and very informative site on effects order you might enjoy. Lots of great info at this site.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx-order.htm

Another pedal you might consider is Compression. I have never been a big fan of compression, but recently we had some posts on the subject and I did a lot of searches and found videos and audios on compression and really liked the way a compressor added warmth to a guitar's clean tone. I had been doing this by using an overdrive pedal with the gain turned all the way down already. But I really liked the presence and warmth it gave to the tone. So what the heck, I ordered one of the Behringer CS100 compressors for $20. And wow, I really love this little pedal. It does take away some dynamics, but it adds lots of warmth and sustain too. Not a bad little pedal to put in your chain.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wes:

As always, thanks for the great information! I am flying blind, as I have always used modelling amps. The article made sense and helped a lot.

Vink:

Will do - I will post a review after I play it for a week or so.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2