Clear all

My attenuator build...LOTS OF PICS 56K BEWARE

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well guy's, it's done enough to test. What I built was a 100w 16 ohm attenuator. Not one of those radio shack jobbie's, but an industrial strength, built to take a serious beating ones. I still have some circuits to add like headphone tap, treble boost and range, and I might even toss in a tone stack later. I'm sure there will be some refinements made along the way.

Just because I know someone is going to ask, yes, that potentiometer is 4" in diameter and can handle 150w of constant power. The gold thing is a 100w resistor. The line out is adjustable and was needed as my VK has no line out feature.

I will test it out maybe tomorrow as far as the circuitry goes but since Peavey STILL(72 day's now) hasn't sent my Valveking back, I won't be able to test it on a tube system.

Here is the build from design to build so far.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

cool, but you may want to let one of the neighborhood kids do the first.....test.....

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

It looks ummhh . . . . ominous.

Did you file a permit with the county . . . . to build that . . . . thing?

Where's the slots for the toast?

Does it tick?

They won't let you on an airplane with that ya know . . .

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member

Very impressive. Is that entirely your own design? Did you make the metal housing yourself? Looking forward to hearing how the test goes, especially after you get your Valve King back.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hmmmmm. A black box.

Did you shield it against harmful radiation from Stavromula Beta? (Hitchhikers' fans should laugh now)

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member

Forgive my lack of terminology, but is that speaker volume knob a stepped knob, or is it a free turning infinately variable knob like on that new Leash attenuator? Is it zero attenuation at it's lowest point? I hope it works for you!

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Forgive my lack of terminology, but is that speaker volume knob a stepped knob, or is it a free turning infinately variable knob like on that new Leash attenuator? Is it zero attenuation at it's lowest point? I hope it works for you!

From an electrical standpoint, you probably can answer that question by looking carefully at the structure, Scr@tchy. It seems to be a linear-resistance, wire-wound resistor with a tapping arm. The nature of a tapped winding with such a single surface contact is that it must be "stepped" in some fashion, as determined by the spacings of the windings and the number of windings the tapping (or wiper) arm contact can possibly touch -- e.g., one at a time and sometimes two, or only one, or always two, any of one two or three. So there will be a stepping of sorts. It may not be audibly noticeable everywhere in the range. That depends on the step size. As this looks like a linear attenuator, volume stepping probably more noticeable at the lower end of the range. The mechanical feel of the stepping may or may not be obvious.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Awwww, Nick has no faith in me :mrgreen:

Kenrogers,
No, but please don't call them
Slot's will be added to version 5
Gawd I hope not :lol:

Hack,
No the design is a modified Weber Mega Dump, using Ted Weber's schematics. The housing was bought at Fry's electronics for $17.00.

Alan, I read that first book. I don't remember that. Oh yeah, I suffer from CRS :lol:

Scratchy, to add what Greg already said. No the pot will not do 0 ohms resistance. That bottom switch near the large pot is a true bypass.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thought I would toss the schmatics up in case someone wanted to view them. Nick he post these on his website so you should be cool.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very impressive! 8) Makes my cheapy Radio Shack attenuator look silly. :oops: :P

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Very cool. 8)

Make sure not to lay your soldering iron on that wood table. :lol:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Very cool. 8)

Make sure not to lay your soldering iron on that wood table. :lol:

LOL....sounds like a man speaking from experience...

Great project! I really wish I had time for a project like that. But with my son, pregnant wife (twins on the way), job, band, coaching and school, I'm afraid it's difficult to find the spare time... I'm sure things will quiet down once the twins are born... right??? :roll:

Can't wait to hear how the test goes.

btw: is it just me, or does anyone else have the problem of typing "teh" instead of "the?" I think the middle finger on my left hand is quicker than my index finger on my right hand... if you did a search for "teh" you would probably come up with several of my posts.... more importantly, how might this condition affect my guitar playing? :?

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Solid looking piece of gear. Nicely assembled.
I haven't seen rheostats that size since I was working on broadcast transmitters!
btw: is it just me, or does anyone else have the problem of typing "teh" instead of "the?"
Only 20-30 times a day :lol:

I read somewhere that it's the most common typo on the internet. Common enough to be a cliche and a T-shirt

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, glad you are watching. Had a glitch(OK, bad wiring job), took a bit to figure out the switch. Yeah, I know, its a simple circuit, but man, it kicked my butt.

Yeah, it works killer. Maybe too iller, as I've pushed my new amp to its limits. Yup, I'm on the verge of killing the stock tubes. Which is OK because JJ's is looking real good.

Does it produce that worked tube tone? Yes, Yes it does. It kills some treble but with a OD pedal and a EQ it is easily overcome. Well worth the build, way cheaper and better built then what is available.

I will post some sound sample in the next two weeks

ReplyQuote
(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

Sid, Thanks for posting this! What a killer piece of gear you've just built!

Looking forward to hearing the samples.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2