Skip to content
new hole in my guit...

Notifications
Clear all

new hole in my guitar, what electronics should I fill with?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I had played strats for so long that I have to have a volume knob where I can reach it with my pinky while picking.

So I love teles now and have to move the volume knob leaving a hole where it used to be.

I can't decide on what electronics to put in there, phaser, fuzz, octave, octavia, etc.

I know I should be able to pick something myself but was just wondering what other people would do.

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Why didn't you just reverse the control plate, swap the volume and tone knobs, and turn the switch 180 degrees? No empty holes, most likely no re-soldering, and you retain the tone knob which is part of what makes a tele so versatile.!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Moonrider has the right idea, and I was going to look for a picture of one my Teles with the control plate reversed, but........ looked at your own Youtube. Are you talking about your '69 Tele Thinline? That's a different story.

If it were mine, my first choice would be to order a new custom pickguard from WD Music Products , sending them the desired template. Of course your volume would be where you can reach and curl it, and put the switch and tone where you want.

My second choice would be to put in a Fender 4-way Tele switch while inside the guts of the guitar, (while you're re-locating the volume) and have two tones like a Strat, in this case, one for each pickup. Sorry, I don't know which effects box circuit boards might fit or how the battery could be accomodated within the available space? Also, what would you put in the hole - the stomp, or a toggle, rotary, whatever? I wonder where the effects control knobs would be?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm sorry, I thought I had been clear that I have already moved the knob. If you look close at the video you will see on my thinline that there is a fender amp knob in the volume spot but just a hole where the tone knob should be. I actually moved the volume a little closer than a strats and now I am spoiled. I have a normal tele and I was originally going to do what Moodrider was talking about but now I am routing out under the wood between the bridge and the control plate to get the knob where I like it. So even on that normal tele I will have a hole. Which I like, this was never a question of 'how do I get rid of the hole'. I like my hole! And better still the possibilities of what it could be filled with... uh, that didn't come out right.

This was just a goofy question I thought I would throw out there and see what kind of responses I got. My main ideas were to either put in a ring mod and have it be activated by a push/pull and have the knob effect the tuning of it... or I was going to put maybe some kind of passive fequency sweep that I could set and then engage with the push/pull. But I have enough room that I could add another knob, or a knob and a switch etc... and still have room for a battery.

Anyways thanks for the replies and useful tips.

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

You're doing fine then.

I like ring mods, but never put one inside a guitar.

I also like the easier-to-do without a push pull, passive pickup blender.

But now that I know what you've got, I'd be dyin' to go 4-way, and use the hole for a Black Ice fuzz , or actually a cheaper double diode clone of it.

It takes a lot of power to push the back-to-back diodes in any passive fuzz, over 8 K ohms, and a series-connected Tele would do that smashingly! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

given the guitar is a Fender, a variable midrange boost/cut might be quite useful -- especially the boost. double bonus: intrinsically, this would include a buffer amp circuit which will help drive the pesky capacitance on those longer cords, and that would help preserve the Fender sparkle and spank. just be sure to use a higher voltage power supply design (more than 9V) and make sure the amp design has a great transient response to really capture those attacks.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote