Clear all

New noise :(

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@zuurg)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out two things here: 1) What's going on and 2) whether I'm using the best setup.

Here's the way I have things set up:

Guitar -> Volume Pedal -> Peavey Special 212 ( Send -> Rocktron Banshee -> Boss PW-10 -> Boss OS-2 -> Boss CH-1 -> Boss BF-3 -> Boss DD-3 -> Return)

The thing that's happening is that everything in the effect's loop sounds fine except for the Distortion (OS-2). If I switch to the effects loop and turn on the distortion, I get noise. If I just put the Distortion in the Guitar -> Volume -> [OS-2] -> Amp path, it works fine. Should I just forget about having anything in the effects loop path and put it all in the regular path? What is the purpose of having the effects loop? Is the order that I have things set up optimal?

Thanks,

Anthony

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

All distortion effects should go before the pre-amp. You should put echo, phasers and such like after the pre-amp (i.e. in the effects loop).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@zuurg)
Topic starter  

So where would the Wah, Banshee and Volume pedals go? I'm assuming that you're saying that the Chorus, Flanger and Delay should go into the effects loop?

Should it look like this? Guitar -> Volume -> Banshee -> Wah -> Distortion -> Amp (Send -> Chorus ->Flanger -> Delay -> Return)?

Can I just not bother at all with the effects loop of the amp and put it all in the chain between the guitar & the amp?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Wah first, then the other pedals. I would try putting the volume as the last, before the amp. Changes in volume will change the level of distortion. This may be what you want, if so, put it after the wah, if not, put it before the amp.

The pre-amp is another "distortion effect", so should go before any of the flanger, chorus or delay type of pedals.

Try this experiment. Take all of the pedals off the amp, other than the phaser in the effects loop. Dial in some fairly heavy gain on the pre-amp and connect your guitar. Make some noise. Now, take the phaser out of the effects loop and hook it up between guitar and amp. Make more noise. You'll probably find that the result is not nearly so pleasing, especially if you set the phaser fairly high.

Try it again with your delay pedal.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote