4 Users
0 Likes
mordeth
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey guys
hey guys, long time no post :P

I'm thinking about upgrading the pickups in my sg copy, and I was thinking about using some humbucker sized p90s - a gfs mean 90 in the bridge (already have) and a vintage vibe cc rider in the neck (currently on sale for an excellent price :wink: )
Anyway, I'm not entirely sure that the sound I'm looking for will be what these pickups provide.
Basically I want:
bridge - loose rock rhythm sound, think radioheads the bends or rems monster albums - that kinda sound
neck - for jangly clean rhythm work, and overdriven lead tones
combined - for more percise rhythm work (the two combined will be humbucking)

I know it's a difficult question to answer - unfortunately none of my friends nor my local music store have p90 equipped guitars - but does it sound like p90s are what I'm looking for ?

oh, and if anyone wants to know the impedence values are 8.6k and 7.2k - maybe someone could explain that to me ? :)

cheers

This is my signature. Fear it.

Wes Inman
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, if you want to know what an SG with P-90s sounds like, listen to old Who recordings from the late 60's and early 70's. Pete Townshend was famous for his SG with P-90s tone.

And here he is with a little less gain.

I personally think the SG with P-90s is one of the greatest Rock tones ever. P-90s have more bite than single coils and don't sound so jangly (Country sounding), then they are not so dark and murky as humbuckers. They are inbetween, they have the bite and edge of a humbucker, but are brighter. Awesome.

The only negative with P-90s are they are known to be noisy. But who cares, they sound great. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
gnease
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yeah -- love P90s despite the humminess. I just go to middle ('bucking) position if hum is too bad. The nice thing about them is the added tonal body with that upper midrange bite plus the high overall output. Turned up all the way on the guitar, they push an amp really well. As they are turned down (again on the guitar), they mellow out nicely for a cleaner, but still fullbodied timbre.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
gnease
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

More: The coil impedances (really only the coil resistances) are a crude measure of coil turns. More resistance indicates lower resonance point (point of peak frequency response) => more full bodied tone with less edginess. In my experience, GFS P90s tend to have more coil windings and weaker magnetic fields => less string pull (more sustain) and a more midrange heavy timbre (less edge than other P90s).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
vgo
 vgo
(@vgo)

I have P90s on my Les Paul Custom, they give a nice smooth and warm sound, but on the treble position I can get some nice crunchy sound too and it works very well even for death metal!

The only bad thing about them is that they are _very_ sensitive for picking up CRT monitors and such, but other than that I haven't really noticed any difference to other pickups when it comes to noise (I have guitars with all sorts of pickups, EMG, DiMarzio etc.).

I have 490R/498T Alnico on my SG Standard and it's a lot louder than the LP with P90s, the sound is sort of harsh compared to it. Very good for rock/metal, but not so good for mellow stuff.

P90s seem to be good all around pickups. In my opinion they are one of the best pickups ever made, I might get another SG with them some day. :)

ReplyQuote