Clear all

Next Pedal? Flanger?

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok people, I'm looking to add to my effects chain... I don't have much... just a tuner, distortion pedal, and chorus. I've heard that Flanger and Delay would be the next two to get. I do love the chug-chug sound of the flanger.

Any other suggestions? Also, I looked at the EVH Flanger and it sound great, but at $150?? Any suggestions on a Flanger in the $50 range?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@steph)
Eminent Member

Although slightly more expensive (around 80) you might want to see if someone stocks an Electro-Harmonix Small Stone near you. I've heard quite a few people being happy with it, although it seems you either like it a lot or not at all.

EDIT: My bad, it is indeed a phaser. I stand corrected :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Steph - but isn't the Small Stone a Phaser?

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

How about a wah or a univibe?

I did a lot of research on univibe's and I've found that the Voodoo Labs Microvibe is prob the best one out there.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I have the Ibanez CF7 which is a chorus & flanger. Since I got the EHX small clone chorus, I stricktly use the CF7 as a Flanger now. It sounds really good, and has a "waked" switch you can flip to get some wayyy out there sounds. :twisted:

Check it out w/sound clips

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I'll give my opinion on this : delay . Every style of modern music that utilizes an electric guitar uses delay . I'm not sure the same can be said of flange or wah . Short delays are good for adding a little depth and longer delays really make a solo sound full , especially important for a three piece band where there is no rhythm player .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Diceman: Another guitarist who I respect said the same thing about being in a three piece and delay and stuff. But I'm so poor at working out how to use the delay in such a way. I was wondering if you had sound clips or experience or advice about this? I have a Boss DD-3 so just the 3 different time settings available.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

If you can find an old Arion Flanger, get it! They are killer and highly sought after.

Here is a good one on EBay, except the shipping looks a little excessive. But a great price for this pedal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ARION-SFL-1-FLANGER-Brand-New-In-BOX_W0QQitemZ140186377422QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41417QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

Here is another one if you are a lucky bidder

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-ARION-STEREO-FLANGER-SFL-1-PEDAL-lower-price-nr_W0QQitemZ220185015952QQihZ012QQcategoryZ41417QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These pedals are made of plastic, but don't be deceived, they are one of the best flangers ever. Go to Harmony Central and read the reviews.

I actually own one of these, but I can't bear to part with it. :cry:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Diceman: Another guitarist who I respect said the same thing about being in a three piece and delay and stuff. But I'm so poor at working out how to use the delay in such a way. I was wondering if you had sound clips or experience or advice about this? I have a Boss DD-3 so just the 3 different time settings available.

First off it is important to remember that any effect is best used sparingly . That is to say , not all the time . An echo set at 40-120 milli-seconds is commonly referred to as "slapback" echo and is used in many rock-a-billy tunes (Jingle Bell Rock is a good example , as is anything played by Brian Setzer of the Stray Cats) . Longer delays are often used when playing long drawn-out notes in solos (think of Nazareth's - Love Hurts or Pink Floyd's - Time) . Keep in mind that too many repeats can muddy up the sound . It is best not to overuse it because clarity of notes will suffer to some degree . An effect is just a flavor added to the original note . A little salt added to a steak will enhance flavor . Too much salt will overpower the steak and you'll taste only the salt .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wes, I did end up finding an Arion SFL-1 in mint condition. It is a nice little pedal. I'm still trying to figure out how to use it, but I have been able to get some cool sounds when playing clean. Thanks for the advice!

-=- Steve

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dali Lima

Oh yeah, it's a great pedal. Try turning all controls to max and you get a sound I call "bubbles" :D

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote