Clear all

Noise from my pedal board

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 tjz
(@tjz)
Topic starter  

Players....I have a question I have done everything I know to do and my pedal board is a stage 5 powerd board and my pedals consist of

ernie ball volume pdl
tuner
mxr dyna comp
mxr carbon copy delay
voodoo lab sparkle drive
mxr overdrive
mxr phase 90
boss tremlo
boss eq
boss noise suppressor

Here is my problem I am getting what sounds like interference noise only when my dyna comp is on? I have tried everything except getting rid of the dyna comp ...anyone have any help for me? Thanks guys.... by the way also it happens when the volume is down its not cables or any type static but a crackling noise that will not suppress...

TJZ

(@ron-d)

I would pull out the Dyna-comp and try using it on it's own. If any of the noise is still present, you've found your culprit.
I recently got rid of a Visual Sound Route 66 pedal specifically because the compressor side added a lot of noise.
I'm currently not using a compressor at all. Took some time, but I finally got used to it.
I find that when I use my Zendrive clone as more of a clean boost, it adds a significant amount of "natural" compression.

ReplyQuote
 tjz
(@tjz)
Topic starter  

Thanks Man I will do that. Its just really hard getting rid of the dyna its got such a warm sound....

Tjz

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i have the exact same issue with my MXR dynacomp. I get all kinds of funky noises when it's turned on. Strangely, it depends on the settings on my amp, which I assume means it doesnt always interact well with my amp (Vox Valvetronics). I isolated the problem in the dynacomp, but like you said i like the way it sounds when i use it so i cant bring myself to take it away. hey, as long as im playing, all the noise goes away. strange huh?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

if the compressor is set to provide any increased sustain, then it also will boost low level hum, noise and interference picked up by the guitar when one is not playing. this is intrinsic to compression. to mitigate the situation, use humbucking configurations (either HB pups or RWRM single-coil pairs) and make sure the guitar is well grounded and shielded. a noise gate can help as well, but it needs to be placed ahead of the compressor pedal to ensure low level noises never reach the compression processing.

if there is volume pedal between the guitar and the compressor, and the noises happen even with the volume pedal toe-up (guitar signal attenuated), then something between the volume pedal and the compressor is probably adding the noise. there's another current thread discussing tuner pedal noise related to the tuner's LED being lit (it's probably pulse modulated to save power). compression certainly would exacerbate that noise.

as always, changes to amp gain, non-linearities and/or tone/eq stack also will affect amplification of the noises.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote