Pedal causing Amp problems?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey All,

I recently acquired a Satchurator pedal (and yes, it's awesome sounding). After using it for about half an hour on my amp, the amp would randomly start crackling and make a somewhat loud, high pitched white noise. If turn off the amp, unplug the pedal and just go Guitar -> amp, it keeps doing this.

If I turn it off and let it sit for a few hours, it will go away and act normally.

This also happened once when i had a Tri-Gain Monte allum DS-1. Since these pedals are very similar, I'm wondering how this could be causing it. I'm not cranking up the volume or gain to high levels.

I have a Crate Palomino V32 tube amp that I acquired last March or so. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

A pedal should never really cause an amp to malfunction. I would imagine that your tubes might be starting to wear, I'm no expert on tubes (although I do own a tube amp and have done a little research). I know that tubes tend to wear faster if you keep the gain on your amp quite high, and crackling noises are something that can occur when tubes wear.

If it's not that, then the problem may be serious and I would take it to someone who can repair amps.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the reply! I had initially thought that maybe my cable was bad, but that didn't end up being the case.

I ended up coming to the same conclusion as you - since it was happening more often in my overdrive channel w/ a decent amount of gain. I've taken my amp to a guitar tech who will most likely end up changing the tubes. He said he would check out the amp and make sure that was the only problem.

Hopefully that's all there is to the problem

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Good thing i brought it into to an Amp repair guy. He replaced the input jack and said that was all that really needed doing. He also worked on some of the connections to prevent future problems. Tubes are still good

ReplyQuote