Clear all

Pedal clueless!

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok...I am totally clueless about pedals! (and this is after hours on google, and board archives!).

I'm starting to look at pedals though, and it is a bit overwhelming to me. Most of the talk is debate between this model or that model, and doesn't really help me out.

Right now I'm playing a Gretsch 5120 through a Blues Jr. No pedals yet.

I think I'm wanting to pick up chorus, and delay (for the rockabilly sound?), maybe an eq?

And, I've been told that a tuner is just too convenient to pass up.

I haven't thought much about distortion or overdrive, but that seems to be a big first pedal for many people as well.

Is there any good advice out there for this first-time pedal shopper? :)

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The first question I'd ask myself: what do I really need? Or even more basic: Do I really need anything? There's so much to be had it's easy to believe you must have this and that, only to find you pay $100 for something you never use. So are you happy with the overdriven sounds of your amp? If not, what's the problem?

If you really have absolutely no idea but still like to find out, ask your local musicstore if you can borrow a Zoom GFX1 for a week, or just buy it. It's a very basic multi-effect with pretty much all 'conventional effects'. You don't have too much control but that also means it's easy to use. Use it for a bit, see which effects you like and which you don't. If you like a lot of them, go for a quality multi-effect. If you only like a few go for quality dedicated pedals.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

tuner is essential. a good chromatic one. you can get the 99 dollar strobe tuner or the 29 dollar pocket size.
you are right when you say most first pedals are overdrive. there are many types. you need to try them out in a store.
reverb and/or delay is great. it adds much to ones sound. a nice delay unit that can loop would quite you busy for years.
every thing else; chorus, phase, flanger, etc. are fun add ons are good to characterize one's sound.
a multi effects board has many things all in one. some like those. it is more economical than individual pedals.
try them out.
I went pedal crazy a long time ago. but now that I have played for a long time I know myself better.
my rig is pretty simple and I can still get a lot out of it.

awhile back I remember on the Boss web page you could hear pedal samples.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

A tuner pedal is convenient. For rockabilly, I don't think you really need a distortion/overdrive pedal. You should be able to get enough breakup with your blues junior. An EQ would be very beneficial. A good inexpensive one is the Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips. I am not a big fan of chorus, but you might like it. For your genre, a delay would be a good bet. I like the suggestion of getting an inexpensive multi-effects pedal like a Digitech to experiment with. It will give you some idea of what the effects are like. Mind you, analog versions of those digital versions are usually much better, and much more expensive. It's great to experiment, just have fun with it.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Just to throw my two cents in on the delay thing, the Rocktron Short Timer is a great and relatively inexpensive delay that sounds great for rockabilly, as well as many other styles.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice!

I wasn't really interested in the overdrive, but thought I'd add it in the questions.

I think I'll look at echo, eq, and tuner to start. I've seen that Danelectro has very cheap pedals, are they worth it as an entry?

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The Danos have plastic housings, so if you have a big heavy foot, maybe not a good idea. I've had my EQ for a while with no problems as well as several other people here. The EQ is the only one I have because I do have a muti-effects that has some of the other stuff (Boss ME50).

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Take a look at Musician's Friend... I think they are selling 4 Danelectro FAB pedals for $30 (total for all four).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Don't be afraid of Danelecto pedals, they are built surprisingly well. I own about 10 Dano pedals, some of which I've owned over 10 years with heavy use. They ALL work as well as the day I bought them.

Danelectro is just like all the other effects companies, some of their pedals are exceptionally good, while others are not.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote