Pedal Output and compression!

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,

Question on pedal output (level). I have a few effects pedals. A dunlop wah, danelectro cool cat, and a handful of digitech x-series pedals. On the digitech pedals they have a level knob. My question is this. How do I regulate the level of the effect to match the volume of my amp? I have a fender blues deluxe. It seems like whenever I step on a pedal there's a new volume. What do you guys do?

Also, compression. I have a compressor and it seems like sometimes I can get no sound from it, especially when I'm playing clean. I guess I want a john frusciante type compressed sound. Can I do this with my compressor? (Digitech, has level, tone, attack, and sustain knobs).

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

A compressor is basically an automatic attenuator. When the level reaches a certain dB(the threshold) which you set, the signal is attenuated to the ratio which you also set for a a duration (release) which you also set.

Now that being said, what I think is happening has little to do with compression. What likely is happening is that you have a gate in your pedal as well as a compressor. A gate (also known as an expander) does exactly what it sounds like. It opens when you reach a certain threshold but closes when the level is below that threshold. Gates are used to control noise. I'm assuming you are using this feature because you are playing a Strat or Strat copy with single coil pickups.

A gate is a great tool but if you have a lot of noise coming out of your guitar you will find that you have to set the gate threshold quite high if you want to eliminate the noise or you have to live with the noise. The problem being that the threshold is so high that you can't sustain notes without the gate closing and cutting off your notes.

Solution: flip your toggle switch to the second position. This position is humbucking. Likely if Frusciante using strictly the bridge pickup, he is either using very discreet circuitry with a well sheilded Strat or possibly Lace Sensors or silent single coils from Fender.

There are ways to minimize the noise from single coils without altering the pickups but you will never fully get rid of the hum without installing some sort of hum cancelling pickup.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

ok thanks, what do you think I should do with my knobs though?

Anyone know about my first question?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

There's only one thing you can do about levels. Go through all of your effects one by one and set the levels so that they are where you want them when you need them. If you want to some boost for certain parts of a song, you might want to consider a boost pedal. That way, clean or dirty, you can add extra volume if you need it.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Some pedals will boost your volume even at the lowest settings. Seems like most chorus pedals will do this especially. I have two chorus pedals that sound good, one a Danelectro, the other a Behringer. I dislike the Danelectro only because it always boosts the volume even at lowest settings. The Behringer is actually the only chorus pedal I have ever owned that does not, so that's the one on my pedalboard.

As far as compression, compression does not change your tone (or it shouldn't anyway). A compressor that changes your tone is considered inferior, people seek out compressors that do not change your tone. A good compressor will give your notes a beautiful chime, especially good with clean tones. A compressor is good to even out your strumming with clean tones especially, or to give an eveness in volume when playing lead. Metal guitarists especially like compression to even out their solos, a picked note will always sound louder than tapping for instance. But with a good compressor you will not hear the difference. When you crank up a compressor you will often get a "click" type tone out of your notes like this example by The Cars. Listen to the very first notes, that is the sound of heavy compression. Heavy compression also tends to make bass notes sound "rubbery".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCz1njgqL_c

Here is a pretty good video that shows what a compressor does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZbxpWNM4bc

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

One good chorus pedal I use that doesn't seem to add boost is the Rocktron Tsunami. Very nice-sounding unit and reasonably-priced too. For compression, I go old-school with an MXR Dyna-Comp.

Cheers! Happy Thanksgiving!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help. Hope you all had a good thanksgiving.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote