Notifications
Clear all

pedal position in effects chain

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rhythmbandit)
Topic starter  

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but with the amount of pages in this forum... Can anyone tell me where to find a good article on pedal positions in the effects chain. I have been out of the playing arena for many years and am just getting back into it. Way back when, I didn't use more than a distortion pedal. I just picked up 5 Boss pedals and a Boss BCB 60 pedal board. I always heard that the order you run the pedals in determines your sound, so I want to set it up right. I got an MT2 Metal Zone, CE5 Chorus Ensemble, TR2 Trmelo, DD7 Digital Delay and a BF3 Flanger. And there's a TU2 Chromatic Tuner in there too. Now I need to know in what order to hook them up. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

did you just take advantage of the guitar center financing deal? :)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The general rule is effects like wah-wah, tremolo, etc. at the beginning. Then the overdrives/distortion (your MT2). And the chorus, flanger, etc. and the delay at the end. But that is the general rule, you should check out another combinations because you could prefer that sound.

That site could be useful:

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/fx.htm

I'd put the tuner at the beginning so you don't need to turn off the other effects. If you try to use it after the chorus (for example) you will not be able to tune because the chorus will be modifying the pitch.

And welcome to GN.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Search the main site lessons for "Loup Garou" - a very solid explanation of effects loops and sequences.

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

well i may very well be wrong (as usual) but i find i get a better sound if my wah is at the END of the chain. if i have it before my distortion the wha becomes less noticable.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

well i may very well be wrong (as usual) but i find i get a better sound if my wah is at the END of the chain. if i have it before my distortion the wha becomes less noticable.
Usually the wah can be before or after the distortion. As you said you get different sounds. It depends on what do you want.

I think there are not good and bad places or orders. It all depends!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Search the main site lessons for "Loup Garou" - a very solid explanation of effects loops and sequences.

Or find it right here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/loup-garou/

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rhythmbandit)
Topic starter  

Thanks all. The loup-garou link was really good. Very in-depth description. Thanks for the quick responses. This is a cool site to have as a resource. Hope to be posting more and hopefully not all questions. LOL.

ReplyQuote
(@rhythmbandit)
Topic starter  

I had a Boss GT-10 but I really didn't like it. I can't deal with prsets and banks and going through and tweaking the presets to the way I like them. Don't get me wrong, it's a great multi-effects unit, but I'm a simple kinda guy. The GT-10 isn't complicated just time consuming. So, I sold it and bought the stomp boxes. Now I can get on with getting back into playing. I'm not wasting time tweaking.

ReplyQuote