Notifications
Clear all

Practice amps?

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@tomkat217)
Topic starter  

Hello, I have a Talman TCY20 VV and I would like to buy a practice amp for it. I don't want to spend more than $150. also,what kind of cables should I buy with it? Thanks in advance!

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i was going to buy a larger one in this series before i bought my Fishman, so i tried this one out as well with both a 6 and a 12 string. it sounded great to me and had lots of features.

Crate CA15 Cimarron 1x8 12W Acoustic Combo Amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-CA15-1x8-12W-Acoustic-Combo-Amp?sku=481750

but, if you can hold out and save around $50 more i would recommend the Ultrasound AG-30 30 watt.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/UltraSound-AG30-30W-Acoustic-Guitar-Amp?sku=488500

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

If it's an acoustic guitar amp you want; have a look at the Behringer Ultra Acoustic AT108 (ZZsounds $60 US). It's good to have choices and try various ones before you buy.

ReplyQuote
(@tomkat217)
Topic starter  

I checked out the behringer, $60.00 at guitar center and just the right size. I'll pick up some monster cables to go nwith it.
Thanks for your suggestions!!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

monstercables are hyped. pick up the cables with the screw apart fittings. I get the ones with the blue trim and they have never failed. less spendy as well.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

monstercables are hyped. pick up the cables with the screw apart fittings. I get the ones with the blue trim and they have never failed. less spendy as well.

This may be a whole new thread, but why are they hyped? I know virtually nothing about cables, and didn't even know there were screw apart fittings on some. :oops: I have monster cables, but am always looking to upgrade (within reason)

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

"why are they hyped?"
they are well made cables, just not enough to justify their ridicules price imo

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

Monster cables are usually thicker and thus less succeptible to break. But then again, it takes a lot to break a cable unless you were really trying and dropped a sharp edged stool-leg on it, and then sat on the stool :-) The cheaper ones with the screw off plugs perform just as well sound-wise IMO. I have both types.

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Monster cables are usually thicker and thus less succeptible to break. But then again, it takes a lot to break a cable unless you were really trying and dropped a sharp edged stool-leg on it, and then sat on the stool :-) The cheaper ones with the screw off plugs perform just as well sound-wise IMO. I have both types.

I have experience with Monster cable breakage . I have always tried to take care of my cables (not standing on them , putting them away after use) . The one I bought quit within a year , well short of of its lifetime warranty (thank God) . Its free replacement quit within six months of the first . They again offered a "free replacement" but I traded it for a different , lesser priced cable (Planet Waves) . The Planet Waves cable has outlasted both of the Monster cables so far , knock on wood (3 years and counting) .
One cable I would recommend is Whirlwind . My backup cable is my my 30 year old Whirlwind cable . In hindsight , with perfect 20/20 vision , I would buy another Whirlwind . I guess I fell victim to the hype surrounding Monster cables but never again . Fool me once , shame on you . Fool me twice , shame on me .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

Well, I guess they do break after-all then. Anyhow, I wouldn't spend the extra bucks for a monster cable anymore.... the planet waves cable works just fine for me and costs less.

I'd be interested in hearing how 2 cables failed on you in such short time.....did they break, or what?

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Well, I guess they do break after-all then. Anyhow, I wouldn't spend the extra bucks for a monster cable anymore.... the planet waves cable works just fine for me and costs less.

I'd be interested in hearing how 2 cables failed on you in such short time.....did they break, or what?

I would like to know also . There was no visible sign of damage on either cable . Maybe I got two from the same bad batch , possible because it was the same store . I felt that I couldn't trust the brand anymore so I cut my losses . It's funny , because I didn't really need a cable at the time . My trusty whirlwind was working fine . I guess I fell victim to the advertising that told me I needed to upgrade . It was a fairly cheap lesson as these things go .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I've had trouble lately with the type of cables that dogbite described and I don't really punish them much so I was suprised that they failed.

My guitar teacher told me he buys Livewires (I'm not sure if that was the name or not) but he said he's had them for 20+ years and has used them to gig and is still using the same cables.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Addressing only reliability ...

If the starting point is basic Switchcraft plugs, heat shrink strain relief and a reasonable quality cable, then reliability will not necessarily increase with additional cost. I have had pricey Monster Cable fall apart under light use. Reason? Design that doesn't lock screw-together plug components. Repairable? - Yes. Really annoying and uncalled for? YES! I too have one remaining 25+ y.o. Whirlwind cable. It was expensive at the time, and it has failed. It is now a shorter cable than it used to be, as it came apart and needed repair. It also is solid, unplated brass. Brass oxidizes. Oxidized brass does not conduct electricity very well -- to a point that it will not turn-on jack-actuated power circuits, such as that found in many FX pedal inputs. Solution is to clean the brass occasionally. Annoying? (Rhetorical question).

Simple, soldered Switchcraft plugs with a couple inches of heat shrink tubing and a reasonable quality Beldon instrument cable have been the components of consistent reliability for my guitar/instrument leads. More expensive and fancy might sound better, but => more likely to fail.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I stumbled across this post, the other day, whilst looking for something else:
Monstrous Cables

Google is sometimes very kind..........

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

whiles we are on cables. I like my Planet Waves quite a bit. They have a switch do hickey that turns it on and off so I dont look like so much an idiot when I am plugging and unplugging. Havent had one fail yet but I dont get out much.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote