Purchasing First Amp / Gear

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@redbeard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Howdy,

I went back and forth over whether or not I should put this here or in the Beginners Q&A forum, but since its a purely "gear" related question and the questions there are mainly guitar related, I chose here. Apologies if I chose poorly.

I am looking for help in deciding what to get for an intro amp.

I own an electric guitar, an ESP LTD F400 (this isnt mine but this is what it is ) and I don't currently own an amp. When I got it about a year ago I bought Guitar Port so I could plug directly into my computer because I have been staying with my folks and there's just no room for an amp. Finally moving cross country to Iowa this summer so I have started attempting to research what "real" amp I'd like to get.

I thought looking at guitars was overwhelming. The amount of different combinations, "stacks", effects boards / pedals etc is mind blowing. I am literally clueless.

I'd like to get something that is decently versatile... something decent for garage play and some light traveling (maybe to a friends to play or something). I am interested, as you might've guessed from the guitar, in playing mainly heavier music but I do enjoy all kinds of guitar. I'd like to "walk out the door" as it were for under $500 if possible. Would like to avoid cheapo stuff just because i'd rather get something that will last.

Am open to any or all suggestions anybody might have, including other references... I dont mind reading.

Thanks for any help.

"I just curse the sun so I can howl at the moon" ~QOTSA

(@size9)
Eminent Member

Here's a great post I read about choosing the right amplifier. You have a pretty good budget. So, you'll be able to pick up something quite decent for under $500. If you're looking for a more portable amp? You can't go wrong with Fender or Marshal

Hope this helps: http://guitarzonline.com/category/guitarz/amplifiers/

Learn How To Play Guitar With Today's Top FREE Videos. Learn To Play Guitar, See Reviews, Shop Beginner Guitars and much more!....

Interested in Guest Blogging For GuitarZonline? Apply @ our Guitar Guest Blog!

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I looked at your guitar, and I take in to account your musical tastes (which were obvious), and your new location- where you want to play and transport your gear, and where you can try and buy, plus get service; which brings me to this as your first suggestion. I think that the Crate Flexwave 65 or the heavy-hitter FW 120 would go with your guitar, style, sound and portability requirements like two peas in a pod. The 65 watt combo is $299 everywere, and would be the hobby, jammin' amp. The 120 looks like a knockout gigger too, 120 watts and 2-12's for only $399. I see a ton of TNT!~

Crate's site lets you select the amp and read about it, and also click on stores and choose "buy now" except you don't have to buy, just compare prices and locations, and especially more info about the amp. That 120 sure would be a killer!

http://www.crateamps.com/products/findex.php?catID=1

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@redbeard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestion guys. That does seem like a beast.

Does anybody else have any thoughts?

Thanks.

"I just curse the sun so I can howl at the moon" ~QOTSA

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

For heavier sounds in a portable combo with effects, look at the modeling amps from Peavey (Vypyr series) and Vox (VT series)

http://www.amazon.com/VYPYR-Modeling-Guitar-Combo-Amp/dp/B001NIENM4

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT50-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=424008&src ="3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=331411071"

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Here's a question back at you.

When you are using the Guitar Port, I assume you use the modeling software that came with it.
What amp models/sounds do you always seem to come back to when you have a session of fiddling with the different sounds?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote