Clear all

Recording live with VST

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to kind of record what you play with a plug in like amplitube. What I want to do is be able to record exactly what I am hearing, and be able to record changes that I make to any effects settings live. So, for example, id like to be able to record a guitar part, then be able to record as I am adding distortion, or adjusting knobs.

As far as I can tell, you cant do this, so I could only have a final recording with one set of effects, and not the progression, as I change it. As you can tell, i am having a bit of a hard time trying to explain exactly what I am trying to do, but hopefully someone out there can understand me! :)

Thanks for any help!

-jon

(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just realized this should probably be in the studio forum. Sorry about that.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Open your sequencer, create a track, add the VST as effect. Now record while you play, the sequencer records your dry track. When done rewind and hit the 'W' button on the VST. Press play and modify whatever controls you like. When done de-select W and hit R. It'll now play your dry track through the VST while reading all the parameters you just set in real time.

ReplyQuote
(@falcon1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Incredible timing! I was just about to post here that after spending a considerable amount of time on google, I started to learn about automation in reaper. It really is pretty cool! I hadent really heard about it, and didnt know thats what to use to accomplish what i was trying to do, but that did the trick. A lot of fun recording just a single note then playing around with knobs on the different effects. Thanks! :)

ReplyQuote