Clear all

Selecting Effects...

16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@k5koy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Being new to guitar, I know very little about selecting the right effects pedals, or what they even do. Of course I understand the basics, such as wah, distortion, etc. But there are a sea of these things out there! Guess what I am trying to ask is this. Which effects are critical and should be in every guitar players arsenal? I play alot of acoustic rhythm stuff as well as some lead. Mostly blues, but I like to rock as well.
What about acoustic effects versus lead effects? If you were limited to only having say, 3 pedals/effects, what would you select and why? I realize this is a pretty general question, but just looking for input to help me narrow down & weed through the endless sea of gadgets available. Im kinda using you guys as a focus group!
Thanks,

Koy Carson
West Texas

**60th Anniversary American Strat
**Carvin AC175 Thinline Acoustic
**Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
**Fender Marcus Miller 5 String Bass
**Fender Geddy Lee Signature Bass
**Warwick Corvette 4 string Bass
**Tradition Fretless Bass
**Takamine Hollow body Bass
http://www.myspace.com/k5koy

The "PickPocket" The ORIGINAL Guitar Accessory
http://www.waxpatterns.com/customguitarpick.htm

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Compressor, EQ and depending on the amp either a booster or reverb. If the am has no reverb use the comp as a booster and the reverb pedal, if it has reverb use that and go with a booster. I personally don't care *at all* for post preamp effects, I'll do that after recording the track. The really important things are those in between your guitar and amp input as they cannot really be added later. If you play mostly blues you wont need much else. Heck you dont need pedals at all if you dont want to for the blues. Definitely stay away from flangers, phasers, filters and all such.

ReplyQuote
(@k5koy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Compressor, EQ and depending on the amp either a booster or reverb. If the am has no reverb use the comp as a booster and the reverb pedal, if it has reverb use that and go with a booster. I personally don't care *at all* for post preamp effects, I'll do that after recording the track. The really important things are those in between your guitar and amp input as they cannot really be added later. If you play mostly blues you wont need much else. Heck you dont need pedals at all if you dont want to for the blues. Definitely stay away from flangers, phasers, filters and all such.

Thanks Ingar, sounds like quality advice. I have a follow-up question for you:
It has come to my attention that some kind of looper pedal might be really good for praticing lead solos & general creativness. I wonder do you have one of these? If so, do you have one you would recommend?
Thanks,

Koy Carson
West Texas

**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz

The "PickPocket" The ORIGINAL Guitar Accessory
http://everythinglubbock.com/content/marketplace/classifieds/items?cat_id=505&item_id=64601

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Koy, for practicing leads I wouldn't bother. Practically every major free audio player can loop segments for you quickly and easily. For creativity it could work well but it depends on how you work. I myself just record my guitar the conventional way, track by track by recording, rewinding and adding more. Obviously that wont work live so if you play live often, are a good and consistent improviser and feel you can create interesting music with a looper: try it. Personally, just in my case, I believe I can better spend that money on other things, with 'private lessons' being way at the top. You mention on your myspace that you have bass-lessons and most of your gear seems to be high-quality bassguitars and related. While bass lessons will actually help a lot with guitar, espescially because of how much bass teachers seem to focus on rhythm compared with guitar teachers, atleast in my experience, I think you would be best off to spend that money you could spend on a looper on guitar lessons. You can always download free software to record yourself when comfortably numb at home. 8)
That'd be even cooler because you also play bass, I think it'd be more interesting for you *(and certainly for me, as a music listener) if you would combine your guitar and bass skills, get a drumcomputer of sorts and start writing your own music, if you dont already do so. It'll cost you nothing in the beginning, will kickstart your creativity atleast as much as a looper would, give you time to think about what you really want to do while enjoying both your instruments adding to each other. And it's free, and every dollar you save can be spend on something that you cant get for free. :twisted: (on a sidenote, there are many relatively cheap software loopers, so you can always add that to your computer if you later want to try it out without spending the big bucks)

I know, pretty off-topic here but I hope it's of some use.

ps. my real name is Arjen, I know it's confusing, sorry about that. :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@k5koy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Arjen,
I am already taking lessons, and yes, that is definately the best place to put you $$$. I have a DR880 Drum machine and a Tascam 8 track digital recorder, and while it would do the same thing as a looper, it wont do it as conviently.
Yes, Bass is where I started, and I love playing bass. I have a American strat that I keep at the house for visiting guitarists when they come by for a jam. Its so nice that a few of them dont even bring a guitar, they prefer to play it! Since my main guitar friend got his 20yr old girlfriend, he dont ever show up anymore. Thats what got me interested in learning guitar. And my studies are going well. My main goal here is to be able to create all my own music using the digital recorder. Im actually getting pretty close to skilled enough to lay down a few songs. Im an old guy, and I will never perform professionally, but its great therapy! I just love it!

Koy Carson
West Texas

**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz

The "PickKeeper" The ORIGINAL Guitar Accessory
http://everythinglubbock.com/content/marketplace/classifieds/items?cat_id=505&item_id=64601

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Just 3 pedals? I would agree with the Compressor and EQ, and then I would get a good Chorus pedal. Chorus almost gives the effect of another guitarist playing the same thing as you, it's sort of a doubling effect. Chorus sounds very pretty and thickens up your tone as well. It is probably the most common effect used by most guitarists. It works well for both electric and acoustic guitars.

Here is a demo of the Small Clone, a very popular Chorus pedal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsMnm0lzR9Q

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Being new to guitar, I know very little about selecting the right effects pedals, or what they even do. Of course I understand the basics, such as wah, distortion, etc. But there are a sea of these things out there! Guess what I am trying to ask is this. Which effects are critical and should be in every guitar players arsenal?

I know very little about selecting the right effects pedals, or what they even do.
...DON'T use them to hide the fact that you are a beginner! There's NEVER a wrong time to "be yourself"!!! If you can actually HEAR your mistakes...sooner or later you'll do something about it.

But there are a sea of these things out there!
...That's because plenty of people hide and self-deceive! But by all means get a digital tuner.

Which effects are critical and should be in every guitar players arsenal?
...reverb/harmonizer; that's really it. Get some sort of "distortion" thig-a-ma-gig once you are getting good at single string melodies.

Hope I don't sound TOO critical (of course, I certainly AM!!!) but make certain that you just lay back and enjoy learning.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why should I have a harmonizer? I have one but have yet to find a use for it. Maybe live it could be of some use but when recording playing the harmony yourself gives a much more natural sound. Plus you can actually do something a bit more creative then stacking fifths (or thirds, if you have an intelligent harmonizer). Am I missing something?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Being new to guitar, I know very little about selecting the right effects pedals, or what they even do.

Here's one of the best explanations of the common effects that I've found.
definately newbie friendly. :D

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Why should I have a harmonizer? I have one but have yet to find a use for it. Maybe live it could be of some use but when recording playing the harmony yourself gives a much more natural sound. Plus you can actually do something a bit more creative then stacking fifths (or thirds, if you have an intelligent harmonizer). Am I missing something?

GREAT question, Matey!

ONE...is it will give you a head start on learning what sounds good with whatever it is you are playing. IE: The Doobie Bros play two six strings on R and 5. Get it tweaked to R and 7 and you'll feel more of what intervals feel like for blues. (Etc/etc/etc)

TWO...turn it up a TINY bit and you'll get amazingly "fat" notes. You can also "effect" the generated signal while leaving your original one alone. (Try reverb on the generated note.)

As far as getting a "much more natural sound"...you're right on the money with that insight. I've NEVER found one that sounds natural...I save that sound for good recording software rather than a floor pedal. But, still, it's pretty good for teaching yourself how intervals feel and where you might like to wander chasin' after 'em!

More or less...it's a "self discovery" sort of toy.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Distortion , delay , chorus are the three effects that I use most often . I play classic rock mostly . As the lone guitarist in a three piece band I need to add depth to my sound especially when I do a lead because there is then no rhythm instrument . It is a common mistake to add too much effect among starting players but as you play more you realize that it sounds better in moderation . This is just my take on things , by no means is it right for everyone .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@k5koy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I have decided on a pedal I want for sure. I got to fool around with a vintage tube screamer this weekend, and I like it! Nice dirty blues punch! My question is this. I have heard that the reissues are identical in every way, but I seriously doubt it. Can anyone confirm/deny? And if there is a difference, how do you tell reissues from vintage pedals.
Thanks,

Koy Carson
West Texas

**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
**Digitech JamMan

http://www.waxpatterns.com/customguitarpick.htm

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Ok, I have decided on a pedal I want for sure. I got to fool around with a vintage tube screamer this weekend, and I like it! Nice dirty blues punch! My question is this. I have heard that the reissues are identical in every way, but I seriously doubt it. Can anyone confirm/deny? And if there is a difference, how do you tell reissues from vintage pedals.

/rant more on (sorry)

Can your ears hear a difference?
If not, then does it really matter if it's 30 years old, or a new re-issue?
If the re-issue sounds the same, does it really matter if the internal circuitry is the same as the vintage pedal?

A lot of people seem to get caught up on "it's vintage, so it's gotta be better".
Maybe it is , maybe it's not.
For me, it's the results that matter ,not the method of achieving that result.

Drop in at your local music store and try a new one, and trust your ears.

/rant mode off

That said, I expect someone here has actually heard both and can give you their opinion of how the two sound.
I'd be surprised if there was a difference that a blindfolded person could hear.
Most well run companies don't want to dilute their brand's name by sticking that "good name" on a piece of crap.

ReplyQuote
(@k5koy)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Can your ears hear a difference?
If not, then does it really matter if it's 30 years old, or a new re-issue?
If the re-issue sounds the same, does it really matter if the internal circuitry is the same as the vintage pedal?

While it is true that there is probably NOT an audible difference in vintage & reissue, I just also happen to be trying to amass good collectable stuff as well. If I find a vintage pedal at a good price, I would prefer that not because it sounds any better, but just simply for the collectability factor. Ha! Im just NEW, not Dopey!...LOL

Koy Carson
West Texas

**Arbor AJ145CR Jazz
**Digitech JamMan

http://www.waxpatterns.com/CustomGuitarPick.htm

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

While it is true that there is probably NOT an audible difference in vintage & reissue, I just also happen to be trying to amass good collectable stuff as well. If I find a vintage pedal at a good price, I would prefer that not because it sounds any better, but just simply for the collectability factor. Ha! Im just NEW, not Dopey!...LOL

Ahhh.
I always forget the collectability factor.

Note to self: not everyone values stuff for the same reasons I do.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2