Clear all

Snap, Crackle and Pop

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I recently just encountered an odd problem with my Epiphone Valve Junior. I was playing it last week and then all of the sudden I hear a LOUD popping noise coming from the amp. I stopped playing and it kept doing it, I unplugged my guitar thinking it might have been the cord or the guitar and it kept popping with no cord plugged in!

Later, I decided to turn it back on and see if it was any better but it would start popping after about 10 - 20 seconds of warming up. I noticed that if I lightly tapped the outside of the amp it would pop. Eventually it stopped and now the amp is silent.

I didn't see any smoke and I had a look at the PCB and there seems to be no blown out components. I was just wondering if the tubes in the amp have blown (if so, which one? or both?), and if there's a sure way to figure it out or not. I have experience with electronics but know very little about tubes.

Steve-0

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is time to take it to the amp tech.
DIY amp repair is not for the feint of heart.
sorry bout your amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Tubes. Try replacing the tubes. One of them was probably arcing inside (the popping noise) and then died. If that doesn't fix the problem then it's time for an amp tech unless you really want to go DIY.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I think it is one of the tubes also. Don't know which one. :shock: It has happened to me and friends too many times to count.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There are only 2 valves in the EVJ, a 12AX7 and an EL84. There are plenty of places offering such a pair from good manufacturers.
The EVJ uses both halves of the 12AX7 so it's possible that one half has died.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote