Sound Fades

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

OK, so after playing for awhile all of a sudden my amp goes silent or close to silent. My first thought was guitar cable so I changed that, but after awhile it comes back again.

So next I figure it's either one of my pedals or the cables. I thought it might be the DS-1 pedal so I take that out of the loop and everything is fine and then back to no sound. So I check some cables and exchange a patch cable and everything is great and then after awhile it happens again.

Now I'm getting really frustrated so I disconnect all my pedals and run my guitar through a Johnson J-station amp modeler, again sound is fine but after awhile it dies out again. With the amp modeler if a turn the knob that changes the different amp model it will suddenly resume at normal volume.

So I have no clue what is going on here, now I'm thinking it's either something in the guitar or my amp. My amp is a Fender Deluxe hasn't been used a whole so I wouldn't think the tubes are going but I'm not sure. personally I don't think it's the amp.

Maybe a connection in the guitar wiring itself?

Suggestions?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Well if it truly "fades" gradually, then I would say it is definitely your amp. Either temperature compensation (overheating) or some other tube failure mode I don't know.

If it pops on and off, then cables or connectors (including the input jack on the amp) could be the culprit.

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Well, I just happen to have a new box of Groove Tubes in front of me (see the post about my misguided panic) and I was just reading the following section on the box:

Signs Your Tubes Need Changing

Loss of highs, muddy chords, poor balance between notes, amp lacks punch or sounds weak, irregular power fades, no sustain or fast decay of notes.

Hope this helps.

Jim

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Chris,

It is most likely a tube, I know you drive your amp pretty hard, that can wear the tubes out in about two years or so. You are probably ready for new tubes anyway, so that' where I'd start.

But if not you should take it to the shop where you purchased it, Fender gives a 5 year warranty on these amps. You will need a receipt.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote