Special effect advise

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'd like some advice on what special effects device to buy.
So I'll explain my situation and what sounds I want and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have been playing just 3 months.
I have a Squier Fender Strat - one of those starter kits (Stop Dreaming and Start Playing kits)
Which means the amp is one of those cheap bedroom amps (Fender Frontman 15G) and I'm happy with that.
In fact I play (well practice) 95% of the time with the headphones on anyway. And I don't need or want to crank up the noise so I don't think I need a big amp.

What I would like is something that will give me different sounds.
I guess the more the better or at least a wide variety since I like just about all kinds of music. (except rap and jazz)
I can comfortably afford $200 it will probably by my Christmas present. (but more $ if there is an advantage)
And whatever I get I'll be using it with headphones most of the time.

I was thinking of the Line-6 pod and then recently I saw the floor pedal model of the Line-6 pod.
I never have used a pedal and I guess it would give the added option of wah-wah?
Is this a good choice?
And what are my other choices?
Any suggestions?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Ken,

Wow you have so many choices to choose from.

It sounds like your looking into a Multi-Efx/Amp Modeller eh?

The good news is there are a alot of options out there. Most of them pretty much do the same thing with different technologies and with different nuances. I'd suggest surfing over to Musican's Friend and going into the M-Efx category and look at what's available. Then pick a few you like and go to their websites directly. Line6, Beheringer, Boss, Korg, etc have pretty good online demos of their gear and their capabilities.
Here's a link to the MF Site:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitar-multi-effects?N=100001+338523

Another thing would be to find some online comparos: here's a good one from a guy named KewlPack
http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=5765
Its a lot to read but it is a good read with a lot of information.

As I said there are a lot of options. The Line6 POD family is good so is Boss, Beheringer, Zoom and the Korg.
I've owned the Beheringer V-Amp, a Digi-tech and now have a Boss GT-8. I didn't much care for the Digitech but it was a lower end model. The V-Amp is great for headphone/bedroom use and I have friends who swear by the POD.

My current setup at home with the GT-8 feeds into my PC via Phones out -to- Line IN on my PC and the L/R outs go to a pair of Beheringer Active monitors and they sound awesome. But that is about a $700 investment for the monitors and the GT-8.

Again, take your time and visit those sights and the manufacturers sites too so you can see just what these amazing things are capable of.

Enjoy!!

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

+1 on multi-effects.

It will allow you to know how sounds the different effects: chorus, delay, reverb, booster, tremolo, overdrive, distortion, etc. and combining them.

Line 6 has always good reviews. A lot of people use it for recording. It was recommended to me last year but it wasn't in my price range at that moment. I was starting and I was looking for some cheap.

I purchased a Zoom G2.1u and I'm partially happy with it. The default patches (sets of effects ready for using them) are not useful. Some effects are good and some are not so good (mainly amp modelers, overdrives/distortions and tone related effects). It has a expression pedal (BTW, very noisy, another complain) so you also can check out wah effects or use it as volume pedal.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Dagwood.
You're right. The choices are overwhelming.
I'll have some comparing to do.
Any suggestions for which gives the best clean sound?
Thanks for the links. I've almost finished reading the whole article.

Thanks, Nuno
I'm looking forward to hearing the new sounds my guitar is going to be making.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Any suggestions for which gives the best clean sound?

No Problem,

As for the clean sounds, I can only comment on those I've either played on or owned. The V-Amp a Boss and a Korg Pandora In front of an amp, you could plug into the "IN" and get the Amps coloration from both the PreAmp and Output stages (hence using one of the units simply as an effect change with no PreAmp models active. And/or if your amp has 'loop' plugs you can bypass the preAmp and just use the Output stage of the amp.oh and the Digitech RP80. I've also played on a POD. I currently own a Boss GT8 and the Pandora, which is the size of a pack of smokes and I take it on the road with me when I travel on Business and use my iPod headphones :)

They all have great "Cleans" for the best I like the Boss simply cuz "Boss = Roland" and the JC120 is a famous (Clean) Roland Amp. The Fender Cleans "SIMS" work exceptionally well too. However, to get a good clean sound really depends on what is behind the M-Efx signal, it depends on what is "MAKING" the sound (physically) eh? It depends on what kind of output your going to use and how you plan to use it.

Its like the old car stereo addage... Good speakers will make a bad deck (tape deck) sound great, but a great deck won't make bad speakers sound good....its all in the speakers.

Kewlpack in other articles talks about the output options with these M-Efx units with some detail. One of his recommendations that I totally agree with is to put one of these units either in front of or IN the loop of a good Tube Amp. There's nothing like it :) Article LINK

But that option is LOUD LOUD LOUD and great for band practice or performing. I use this option with my Fender Hot Rod Delux...sometimes....because....its too Loud!!! (usually when I go to a friends house to jam)

With Headphones (a good pair, not just the ear bud/iPod types) any one of these will Rock and get pretty loud as well, they sounds AWESOME with Heaphones on. :) :) :twisted: . You can rock out to your hearts content and not bother anyone...a great option.

Another Option is to use one, preferably a pair of Full Range Frequ Response Speakers (FRFR). An example would be a pair of Powered or Active Studio monitors. I use a Pair of Beheringer B2031A (LINK) at home. Read his article(s) on why. Mainly its because the Standard Guitar Amp will and does add its own "COLOR" to the tone due to cabinet style, materials, speaker type and the Amp itself. What you really want is as a Neutral sound source as possible.

But....... you don't have to go that far either. For over two years I just used my PC Speaker System. Here's what I did.
I bought a $100 set of Surrounds for my PC, for gaming. "Altec Lansing" 5.1 system. Since my home office and "studio" are in the same room...Then to plug my M-Efx unit up to the Computer I bought a "Headphone" extension Cable, (this is important) a Stereo Cable and a 1/4" to 3mm Adapter plug.

Then I ran the Phone OUT of the MEfx to the Line IN on my sound card and Bam... I'm rocking and in STEREO!! Yeah I had to set the levels on the PC's "Master Volume Control" (Software) then adjust the speakers level themselves to get the levels balanced just right. This also allows me to record to the PC without having to "MIC" the speakers on one of my amps, so I don't need a MIC to record.

Other advantages, that I see anyway, with an FRFR Setup is if your MEfx unit has Speaker Sim and MIC Sim capability. You can really hear the difference between 8x12", 4x12" a 2X12" 1x12" and the differences with Open or Closed Back. Some of the MEfx units also have MIC sims and placements parameters allowing you to choose a different mic and place it in different positions related to the what would be the center of the Speaker Cone and the distance away from the speaker.

Anyhoo its all fun, sorry for writing another Book... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Welcome to the MUSICAL MADHOUSE!!!! hehehehhee and that QUEST for TONE. At the end of the day, I'm more than happy with my current setup, Even if I didn't have the GT-8, I would use either a POD-XT or the Behringer equivalent or even the BOSS ME only because I like the "Floor" units better.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

My experience with multi-effects is very negative. NOW, don't stop reading there. Link 6 is awesome and I would recommend it. But beware, many multi-effects like the Digitech RP's are very stale, boring in my opinion and ruin your tone. But that's in my experience, so don't be afraid to buy it.

I still prefer individual pedals more (which is probably more costly, depending on where you get it).

ReplyQuote