Clear all

Stinkin' Pedals

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

That 'lil Epi LP with that 'lil amp I've got has got some great tone sometimes.....like right now with no one in the house.....turned up just 1/2 way.....got rid of all the stomp boxes that were making it hum, except one & a wah.
Funny, all the boss pedals hum. The Electro-harmonix one doesn't.
Anyone get this too?

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I too have stripped down the pedal thing. the rig is much quieter now.
I do have a noisy circuit in my house. in other places a few pedals and amp are beautifully hiss less.
my Tubescreamer is a very quiet pedal.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So is it a grounding, polarity, wiring issue?
Maybe Boss pedals aren't so good.

I think I'll try Electro-harmonix next time.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

It depends on alot of things:

Do you use batteries or adapters? Adapters are notorious for being noisy.

It could be a grounding/wiring problem. If you play guitar in a room with alot of electronics (i.e - computers, tvs, etc.) that can also add noise.

I've heard sometimes combining different brands of effects pedals may create noise (Not that I'm saying you should necessarily stick with one, but if you have 10 different pedals, all different brands then you may run into problems)

I've never really had a problem with Boss pedals personally, but I have noticed that pedals tend to get noisier when the batteries are dying.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm using adapters on all. The only Boss pedal I have it my group is a chromatic tuner. Other than that, there's a Dunlop Wah & a Big Muff. The plug in the room is new & is grounded. I'll try them separately with nothing sometime.

If I take out the Big Muff & put in any other pedal, which all are Boss....it hums loud enough to bother me.

Maybe see about ground contact issues....
I'll try a jumper wire & touch different shtuff....when I get to it....someday.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

ALOT of people seem to have problems with adaptors when it comes to noise, you could try batteries to see if that's the issue. If you're using one adaptor to power several different pedals than you might be experiencing "ground loop" hum. The solution to that would be to use one adaptor for each pedal or to use an adaptor that's designed to get rid of ground loop hum (which usually aren't as cheap). However, I wouldn't invest in one of those unless you are sure it's a ground loop problem.

If it's an issue with the outlet, an easy check would be to move everything to a different room and try it in a different outlet to see if it's still noisy.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies. :note2:

ReplyQuote