Notifications
Clear all

Traynor Amp Distortion- Need Help!

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@sixstringherootto)
Topic starter  

I bought a traynor YCV 20 over the summer for 650$ and i like it not overly for the price. i like alot of distortion, like crunchy-bluesieer stuff and this things distortion is kinda a let down there. i was looking at pedals but ive also heard different tubes can make a big difference too. i recently bought a wah too and i can barely tell its hooked up to my amp on the distorted channel it barely makes a wah sound. Anyone have suggestions for me, regarding help with the distortion or wah? any suggestions regarding pedals or tubes? Please help! thanks

(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Sorry, can't really help you out but just hang around, some of the gear nutz will chime in. In the mean time. describe your chain or loop.

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringherootto)
Topic starter  

Ive got simply a guitar -wah- anp. i also have an fx pedal but havent gotten around to getting another patch cord to hook it in

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hi brotha, I have a YCV40 and it rocks... the distortion channel is great for BadCo/AcDc rock. Do you have the settings correct to get a more aggressive tone? You'll need to turn up the distortion volume. Also, the distortion/gain needs to be at about 8, with the bass turned down and the treble turned up.

If you want something meaner then you'll need a pedal. I have a Metal Muff and it does the trick for me. If I want clean the Traynor amp is great, if I want 60' and 70's distortion then I use the Traynor distortion channel. If I need heavier tone I use the Metal Muff.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I will say that every review I read about the Traynor's stated that replacing the tubes is a must. The tubes can make a BIG difference. I just re-tubed with some JJ Tubes and it definitely made a difference over the Sovtek tubes that came stock.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I'm going to give you what may seem to be very strange advice, but give it a try and see what you think.

Turn the gain down on the overdrive channel as low as possible. Then turn the channel volume or Master volume up.
Also, do not crank Bass up high. Add just enough for warmth and leave it there. Turn Mids up fairly high, and Highs anywhere from 5-8 (on a scale of 1-10)

Some of the best overdriven tones come from an amp that is just barely breaking up. Most people tend to turn Gain way too high. Yeah, it will increase sustain, but it usually sounds very muddy. If you want crunch and definition to your chords, turn Gain way down.

Here is a good video where a guy shows how to get Angus Young's tone. I think most people would think Angus uses lots of overdrive or distortion, but in reality he uses an almost pure clean tone. But it sounds awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ-xbUFTPwA

This is great Classic Rock tone. If you want modern high gain distortion, get a pedal. But you may be able to coax a great overdrive out of that amp by keeping the Gain low.

Try it and see what you think. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote