Tuner Pedal Noise

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've been meaning to post this but always forget. I have a Dean markley Tuner Pedal as the first pedal in my chain and when I am not actively using it to tune there is a red light that blinks on and off. I guess to help you see it on stage. But the problem is every time that light blinks I get a hum in my amp.

I tend to have the volume cranked pretty good so the hum is very noticable between songs.

Is there anything I could use to eliminate the noise?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Is it being powered by your pedal board, or something like a 1-spot daisy chain? If so, try using batteries ... I don't know why, but I've heard that can make a difference.

I have a Korg PitchBlack pedal tuner and no problems like that, so if you end up needing another that's one to look into.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Powered by a One-Spot which I bought to get away from using batteries.

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

I know what you mean; it's a bit frustrating.

I found this in a review of the Planet Waves tuner pedal, which looks similar to yours. Someone had written to them about the same problem, and the company replied:
"Our tuner, along with many other manufacturers' pedals on the market can experience hum when using a non-isolated ground power source."

So, assuming this is the same problem, it looks like you're stuck with batteries, getting a separate power supply for that pedal, getting a different (expensive) power supply like the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 which isolates every output, or living with the hum.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Are you plugging the OneSpot power supply into a different outlet than the amp? If so you might have a ground loop that is causing your hum. Sometimes even the two sockets in the same wall plate can be on different circuits so the best way is to use a power bar and plug everything on the same audio line (pedals, amp, etc.) into that power bar.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well they are not plugged into the same circuit but it is not 60 cylce hum that I am hearing. It is a pulsing hum that emits when the light blinks on the pedal so I don't think it's the type of hum mentioned by the manufacturers.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Chris,

Have you tried coming out of the bypass jack? You are probably using the mute function, if you use the bypass output jack you will lose that function, but it should eliminate the hum.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wes,

I haven't tried that so maybe I will tonight. Since this gear doesn't get movd much i just took it off the pedal chain the last time we played and everything is wonderful. Of course now I have to plug into and out of the pedal when I want to tune, which is what I was trying to elimante when I bought the pedal.

I hope the bypass thing works.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Wes,

Tried running it through bypass but no difference still had that pulsing hum when the light blinks. I just took it out of the loop.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I suppose you could add ab A/B pedal and put the tuner on that, then leave the tuner in the non-blinking mode permanently.

Optionally, you could take a screwdriver and soldering iron to the pedal, and eliminate the LED flashing circuit (or maybe just the LED).

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote