V-Amp discussion

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi
How many of you use a V-Amp (2) or a V-Ampire amp for recording or playing ?

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

(@kblake)
Reputable Member

I do...V-Amp 2 but strictly in the bedroom....

But a few months ago I purchased a Roland Micro Cube and I have been using that quite extensively lately.
It has 6 amp models and flanger tremlo phaser and chorus + seperate reverb and dely.

I love the V-amp but I find it a hassle unpacking it ( and repacking it) and it has so many settings and knobs to turn and buttons to press that I end up playing with the V-Amp and not playing much music LOL Its just to easy to plug into the Micro Cube and I can get all the sounds I want...

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Kalle,

Looks likes its just us...and I thought they used to be popular....

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nope, another one here. Plus a Bass V-amp pro as well.

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I know that Margaret is also using a V-Amp2.

I think that the discussion about effect processors in this topic http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=28583
is very interesting for a V-Amp user.
I shows that a effect processor (as a V-Amp) for best sound, should be used with a FRFR (flat frequency response) amp/speaker system and not a sound coloring guitar amp.

ReplyQuote
(@forresal)
Eminent Member

I run through a V-amp 2. Though I only bought it a few months ago I haven't really had time to explore it other that downloading and importing other people's patches.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I've got one too. (Vamp2)
On one hand, it's a cool toy to waste a lot of time "knob twiddling" with.
On the other, it can make a lot of really cool sounds that inspire me to keep practicing wayyy past my bed time :wink:

My plan, when I bought it, was to use it to explore effects and decide on which stomp boxes I'd eventually buy. But then I discovered that it sounds good enough that it's all I need for effects.

One thing I read a lot of before I bought it was people saying "the plastic case will get destroyed", and maybe it's not the thing for a hard gigging player, but I don't see the need to treat it with kid gloves. As long as I don't drop it onto a concrete floor, it should last me as long as I want to use it.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Actually, I have dropped it on concrete floors numerous times. I have a V-amp1 with the EPROM update to V-amp2, so it's already 8 years old or something, and has been owned by atleast two people before me. I've dragged it all over the country for some years now and it holds up fine. The Pro version is even sturdier, and I guesss that if you're performing daily you should get the rack one anyway.

Oh, do always experiment with amplification. Neutral amps are standard to amplify modelers but sometimes another amp (or even another modeler) can get some cool sounds. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Kent
Same for me , the V-amp has made my guitar playing much more fun.
As I play mostly with different backing tracks I want to get a guitar sound that is similar to original artists guitar sound. I have experimenting with all the settings of the V-Amp to get a sound like that, but it is not always easy.
And it also depends of the guitar pickups how the V-Amp sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

I have a v-amp2 also. I have had it for a while and really like it. I am still learning about it, as there is so much it can do. Even just to fall back and use it as a little delay in front of my valve junior head, there aren't too many times that I play and am not using it. I am just using it for home use, but think you could use it to play out. I don't have the professional model, but either one is a steal for the price. I have read some places that a switch between tones can have a noticeable delay, but it is decreased if you put all the tones for a song in the same bank as the delay is greater when switching between banks. I would/have recommeded it.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

guitbusy: the delay people talk about is the delay between switching amp models, which is not related to where you stored it. To overcome it you can create patches using the same amp model but with different settings. Models of the JCM800 and AC30 for example allow very clean patches and very hi-gain ones, if you use the booster in the config menu.

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Rise.... rise from the dead!

Old post, new questions...

So this doesn't look like an amplifier. Does this give sound (volume) like an amp or is it just meant to use with headphones? Or you go from your guitar into the input, and then output into a regular amp for volume, then it's just basically a complex pedal?

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Rise.... rise from the dead!

Old post, new questions...

So this doesn't look like an amplifier. Does this give sound (volume) like an amp or is it just meant to use with headphones? Or you go from your guitar into the input, and then output into a regular amp for volume, then it's just basically a complex pedal?

Well ideally you'd take a unit like this or any of the other "AMP" modelers and put it into the cleanest, neutral sounding amplification you can find. Be that a PA system via a mixing board, powered studio monitors, your computer's IN then out those speakers or into the amp you already have.

Mind you though that most common guitar amps have their own 'coloration'. Fender's are famous for their clean tones so that's not a bad option. What you don't want to do is put this on a marshal (or insert your amp here) and then play the dirty channel with this thing.

The whole point is to "MODEL" those amps so logically you'd want your outputs (Speakers) to be as clean as possible.

I'm a prior VAmp owner and am thinking about getting another one to take on the road with me when I travel on my job since my Boss GT8 is a bit hard to pack in a suitcase.

Personally I love these 'new(er)' bits of technology. If you were to get all the authentic amp(s) and effects seperately you'd be in the 10's of thousands of dollars not to mention all the space you'd waste and the tinkering you'd have to do to them. Instead you get this little, or big, 'box' with all these awesome sounds coming out of it.

There's a great sight called the Stompbox.
http://www.thestompbox.net/Default.aspx

Kewlpack is a supernice guy and a decent author. He's written much on this very subject.

Check it out :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The v-amp is a pre-amplifier, and as such can take the place of whatever pre-amp you use know. You can either use headphones with it or attach a poweramp and a speaker to it.

ReplyQuote