Valve Jr. in band?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I own a Crate Palomino V32 amp (30 watt class A tube). Sweet sound! The other guitarist in my band is playing through a Crate SS amp and wants to move to a tube amp. We found a person selling a Valve Jr. Head for a really great price. My question is....if we do one of the popular mods and get a 1x12 or 2x12, will this be able to keep up with a band? I think he is interested in looking at the Blackheart 1x12 w/ an Eminence speaker in it.

Waste of money? Bigger cab needed? Thoughts?

Thanks!

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have used my EVJ head in a few gig situations and it was fine. That said, this was older musicians and we were not playing at super volume levels. But it was fine and sounds great when you get the volume up.

If you guys don't play super loud it will be fine.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply Wes. I can't imagine us playing at super loud levels. Did you have the cab mic'd into a pa? Our vocalist is looking into buying a pa, but I think it's going to be mainly for vocals.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hey all,

I own a Crate Palomino V32 amp (30 watt class A tube). Sweet sound! The other guitarist in my band is playing through a Crate SS amp and wants to move to a tube amp. We found a person selling a Valve Jr. Head for a really great price. My question is....if we do one of the popular mods and get a 1x12 or 2x12, will this be able to keep up with a band? I think he is interested in looking at the Blackheart 1x12 w/ an Eminence speaker in it.

Waste of money? Bigger cab needed? Thoughts?

Thanks!

I love my VJ half stack miked into the PA. We're classic rock and blues and don't run a lot of stage volume at all. That being said, if a cleaner sound is needed, you'll need to sub the 12ax7 in the pre amp for a 12at7 or 12au7. There's not a whole lot of clean headroom with the stock preamp tube.

Mine's still stock, but I love the sound of EL-34s on the edge of melting down :D

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@scott58)
Trusted Member

I just went through that last year when i stood in for a guitarist in a dokken cover band. I had to mic mine through a PA in most instances, but it worked out great. I was playing a Variax 700 into a POD XT Live and used the vj as the power amp. I wish i knew then what i know now. The Vj can get outstanding cleans with a good boost and tube change to tung sol and jj's. My practice setting went from typically 12 o'clock position to just under 10 for the same volume. I've also bypassed the od/dis/fuzz on the POD and replaced them with analog pedals. Turned out to be a great setup. Between the modeling in the guitar (rickenbacker 360 is my favorite) and the amp modeling in the POD you can give them a run for their money in a small gig situation.

Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean 79 ML (silverBurst) Dean 79 ML Arctic White
Dean V-Wing Dove
Wampler SuperPlextortion - Skreddy Lunar Module
Peavey Transtube 110 EFX - Vox DA20 - Valve Jr Head/Cab
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
H2O Chorus/Echo

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

He did end up getting it. Nice amp for the price.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Cool! I was gonna say, my little EVJ connected to my Fender 4 X 12 cab can be obnoxiously loud.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

yeah, it does seem pretty loud. With the music we're playing, it's not to important to have loud cleans. When that situation arises, I end up playing the part w/ my strat.

My friend got a 1x12 Blackheart cab. That thing can get LOUD. I'm rather jealous of the natural OD he gets from it, but I would rather have my loud cleans :D

ReplyQuote