Clear all

Wah Pedals......

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarallen1588)
Topic starter  

Random question,

Does anyone know of a wah wah pedal that engages when you step on it other than some of the Morley Pedals???

Thanks.

(@ibanezjunkie)
Eminent Member

you mean, switches on when you stamp down your toe?

Dunlop Crybaby.

Fortune, Fame, Mirror, Vain, Gone Insane But The Memory Remains

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

That is called a "True Bypass" pedal. Look for that in the specs. My Snarling Dogs wah is another example of that.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarallen1588)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies.....and to be clear...I am NOT looking for a pedal with a switch at the toe.....I want for the pedal to automatically turn on when I put my foot on it...and turn off when I take my foot off.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

my Vox WahWah V847 works by stepping on it. push/click and you are On. stopping by push/click take foot off.
it really takes no effort. it becomes second nature and smooth.
I often click it On and lever it to a tone I like and leave it like that. many artists have done that, ie. Zappa.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ibanezjunkie)
Eminent Member

many artists have done that, ie. Zappa.

And Tom Morello, he leaves the wah about half-way down, so its between the treble and bass frequencies cus he says it gives the sound a 'ghetto bird' effect (in the verse part for bulls on parade for example) . i didnt get it either. but it does sound pretty cool.

Fortune, Fame, Mirror, Vain, Gone Insane But The Memory Remains

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

my Vox WahWah V847 works by stepping on it. push/click and you are On. stopping by push/click take foot off.
I often click it On and lever it to a tone I like and leave it like that. many artists have done that, ie. Zappa.Thanks for that info, DB; I believe I would be happier with a pedal like that, instead of having to press down on the toe to engage/disengage.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I often click it On and lever it to a tone I like and leave it like that. many artists have done that, ie. Zappa.Thanks for that info, DB; I believe I would be happier with a pedal like that, instead of having to press down on the toe to engage/disengage.

I believe that's what he's saying, it is toe engage/disengage, just like a Cry Baby wah.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I believe that's what he's saying, it is toe engage/disengage, just like a Cry Baby wah.

Doh! I guess I read it wrong... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i have a behringer hell babe wah that uses an led light, and it engages when you step on it. you can get it to click on and off at the very top of the arc. it's probably modeled after a morley.
a ghetto bird's a police helicopter

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Just to be clear, not all wah pedals that have the step click on/off are true bypass.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

That is called a "True Bypass" pedal. Look for that in the specs. My Snarling Dogs wah is another example of that.

Actually I think he wants something like the Mark Tremonti Morley Wah:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-Mark-Tremonti-Power-Wah-Pedal?sku=150758

which, if i'm not mistaken, engages the effect when you move the pedal with your foot, you don't have a switch at the toe. The downside to this would be that you have to keep your foot on the wah, whereas I like to sometimes set the wah to a certain frequency (i.e - engage the wah and leave it halfway between the toe and heel position) and play using the wah as a filter, to do this you would have to leave your foot on the pedal to keep it engaged. Unfortunately this is the only pedal I know that works like this.

This is not true bypass, according to the advertisement it says it has a buffer circuit, like alot of pedals (BOSS pedals have good buffer circuits). Unless you are told the pedal is true bypass, the only real way to determine if it is true bypass is to look at the wiring of the pedal. Of course, I don't necessarily believe that true by-pass is always the best option: I think sometimes pedals are WAY overpriced because they advertise "true bypass", meanwhile I find that a good buffered pedal can be a reasonable subtitute. That's just my opinion anyway.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Unfortunately this is the only pedal I know that works like this.

like i said, my behringer hell babe wah has the same setup, but all of their equipment are cheap knock offs, so it's obviously an imitation of a higher end wah. the mark tremonti is not the only wah that's set up like that. steve vai's bad horsie wah does the same thing, and i think that's the wah my cheapie is imitating. there's probably a few others one the market with that effect.
but those are both morley wahs, which is not what the original poster wanted anyway... i don't know of any other wahs that don't have the footswitch button

ReplyQuote