Clear all

Will this work?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Last week, I picked up a cheap amp in a second-hand store - Park G10 Guitar amp, cost me £15 - about US$27.....I tried it in the shop, got a really nice bluesy tone out of it, and some great distortion.....

It has two gain controls, three EQ pots - Bass, Mid & Treble. What it doesn't have is any reverb......

So I was wondering - been playing my Squier Tele through my 30W cube bass amp lately, with a lot of reverb and quite a bit of gain....posted some of the results on Hear Here.....

What if I played the guitar through the Park Amp (using the gain turned well up....), then took a cable from the headphone socket, into the bass amp input socket, with the bass amp set to a fairly natural CLEAN sound, but with the reverb turned up? Would the fact I'm using 40 feet of cable all told mean there's a delay between what I'm playing and what I'm hearing? Am I going to damage either of my amps? Given that the Park Amp is LOUD - don't need the volume much above #1, and I've never had the Cube over about #2......

I'd try it now, but it's after midnight.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

it won't do the delay thing...not sure about hurting the amps, but i'd guess they'll be peachy

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

Hi Vic
You will not destroy anything at least.

But the headphone out level can be a little bit too high for a guitar amp input so you may get unwanted distorsion in Bass Amp.

One thing that can fuck up , is that a Headphone output is normally wired for stereo and has a stereo connector but a guitar input has mono connector.
If you are using a normal mono guitar cable it will shortcircuit one of stereo channels of the headphone connector and thereby also the channel.

It will not destroy anything but you may not get any sound.

Kalle

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you can buy a little 3-way signal splitter, either as a box, or just a simple little cable thing.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've still not tried it - forgot I'd asked this question (late Saturday Night/early Sunday Morning, had a few drinks, wondering "What If....."

But you've got me wondering now - is there such a thing as a signal splitter that'll split the signal from my guitar and send it to the Guitar amp and the bass amp simultaneously? Guitar amp with gain up, bass amp with a bit of gain and a lot of reverb....man I'd sound like an orchestra! OK a bad orchestra, but twin leads?....hmmmmm.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I have a Park G10 too (which I also picked up for £10-20) but can't seem to recreate the great sounds I had going before.

I wouldn't know about one into another, but as for question 2. Yes there is such thing as a splitter for two amps. I don't know what it's called or how much it'd cost, but even my Boss Harmoniser pedal has a stereo A and stereo B output designed for that.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's called an A/B/Y pedal, which is a basic A/B pedal but also allows you to use both outs at the same time. Any basic stereo behringer pedal would do as well, as Clazon said.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

On my list of "Things too look out for and buy"....

Thanks, guys...you'll probably hear it next week....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

is there such a thing as a signal splitter Vic

yeah, that's what i was talking about in my post. i can't find it now, but i had a little 3 way cable with one male and two female connections. it was small, about 5 or 6 inches, and i'd plug the male end into my guitar, and the two female ends into instrument cables that connected to two separate amps.
a box will cost you more, but you should have more choices about how the signal is sent, whether to just one line or both.

ReplyQuote