Clear all

You have GAS, I have...what????

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Lately, I can't stop looking at effects.

I can't stop looking at different types of wahs, amps and all different times of effects. I feel insane. I have $200 to my name, and no job (I'm gonna get a summer job though and stick with it through Senior year in High School).

It's quite insane.

The ironic thing is, I currently have a $100 Roland 15 Cube Amp (was $60 at the time I bought it because MF.com had a sale). It's not the best amp, but I've only really eyed down two "better" amps. Orange Amp 30 watt (solid state) and Fender Blues Jr (great, cheap tube amp).

I've compiled a "fantasy list" (I wouldn't even call it a wish list, it's that far out there) of effects I'd like to buy, and it's driving me mad.

I just find it weird I wouldn't have GAS, and instead I have...EAS...or something.

Just thought I'd toss this out there. Am I the only one who is this..horrible, horrible disease? Lol.

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Yes young grasshopper, Gear Acquisition Syndrome can get the best of us. Guitars, amps, effects, when will it ever end?! :shock: "Hi, I'm Dan, and I'm a gearaholic"! :lol:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Make friend's with someone in school who has great equipment and jam with him (or her). That way you can play at his house, on his stuff! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yes young grasshopper, Gear Acquisition Syndrome can get the best of us. Guitars, amps, effects, when will it ever end?! :shock: "Hi, I'm Dan, and I'm a gearaholic"! :lol:

Dan
Gear Acquisition Syndrome...Guitar Acquisition Syndrome...GAS...yea, that makes sense. (I guess your mind doesn't think of simple things like GAS also working for gear when you're on the verge of falling asleep). Damn, lol.
Make friend's with someone in school who has great equipment and jam with him (or her). That way you can play at his house, on his stuff! :wink:
There's like one kid in my school who plays guitar, unfortunetly, lol.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Gear Acquisition Syndrome...Guitar Acquisition Syndrome...GAS...yea, that makes sense.

Well that's a relief! :D I've been suspecting lately that I've come down with a nasty case of AAS (which sound bad when you say it out loud... :shock: ) because I seem to keep collecting Amps, despite the fact that I usually play unplugged.... :roll:

I was in a friend's shop last week and he was turfing out a 100watt amp at half price. Now the LAST thing I actually need is a 100w amp to play in the bedroom ... but geez... how could I resist.... it was so cheap... and so BIG!

The fifth amp in the house.... Perfect for playing that soothing bedtime lullaby at two zillion decibels...:roll:

And, like you, I'm starting to eye off effects pedals and other gizmos too. Could it be a forum transmitted virus of some kind? GAS, AAS, and EAS all in one. :shock:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

It's hard to avoid GAS when you read about someone who just purchased some cry baby wah wah peddle or some heavy crunch peddle, because you know those things will instantly translate how your guitar sounds... I manage to resist most of the time because I know I could be a LOT better player, and I know those effects peddles and stuff just means more cords (probably the kind I have to unplug when not in use to avoid battery draining which I HATE). Since there ain't many options for rich friends with all the coolest guitar gear... maybe you need to buddy up with the people working at the guitar shop, spend a lot of time testing the things they have... might have to spread the love around to a few diff guitar shops, if you are in there every day not spending money they might get sick of you after the first week...

Um, or better yet.... um, any of the local guitar shops hiring... guitar shops generally don't kick you out for not buying stuff as quickly if you are actually employed there (and selling stuff)...

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I have been successfully cured for G.A.S.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Chris- Nice amp. How much did you have to pay for it? And lol at "Perfect for playing that soothing bedtime lullaby at two zillion decibels..."

Maliciant- Yea. I already got a Vox v847 wah wah but I'm wanting more, it's crazy. Yea, it'd be annoying unplugging all the corsd, then again most effects have AC adapters now. But the thing I don't undestand is it seems like for some effects you can ONLY use there AC adapter. That thought passed my mind too, applying for a job at a music store. But then again, idk, I don't know enough about 'everything' to really work at a place like that.

Rahul- With many effect pedals and guitars? lol

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris- Nice amp. How much did you have to pay for it?

It's hard to quote an exact figure because Australian prices are different from the USA. Our dollar is a different value, but also (because we have a much smaller market here) everything is a bit more expensive by the time it gets here anyway.

But according to this site it should be about $850 US - and I got it for half price. :D US price and Amp details at InstrumentAlley

Johnson make cheap gear but it generally seems pretty reasonable for the money. I have 3 of their guitars ( a bass, a strat copy and a hollow body) and they were all very badly in need of a setup from new. Just thrown together at speed in the factory to save money I guess. But once set up they've all been very good for the price. The amp sounds good, but boy is it LOUD! :shock: Good job we live in the country and the neighbours are a couple of hundred yards away.

Just got a catalogue in the mail from a local music store and they're offering Digitech RP80 effects pedals at 2/3 the price.... tempting.. :twisted: .. I have NO effects pedals yet....

Digitech RP80

What do you reckon? Any good? Should I aim for something else? I'm currently down to $0 after that amp but, hey, there's next month to dream about...

Pity you're not closer by, we could go and try them out! Probably not worth flying half way round the world for though... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

It's hard to quote an exact figure because Australian prices are different from the USA. Our dollar is a different value, but also (because we have a much smaller market here) everything is a bit more expensive by the time it gets here anyway.

But according to this site it should be about $850 US - and I got it for half price. :D US price and Amp details at InstrumentAlley
That's a pretty good deal then for half the price.
Johnson make cheap gear but it generally seems pretty reasonable for the money. I have 3 of their guitars ( a bass, a strat copy and a hollow body) and they were all very badly in need of a setup from new. Just thrown together at speed in the factory to save money I guess. But once set up they've all been very good for the price. The amp sounds good, but boy is it LOUD! :shock: Good job we live in the country and the neighbours are a couple of hundred yards away.
That's cool. Yea, it seems like a lot of the 'reviews' on guitars are a little false because they haven't received a set up yet. Like the Squier '51 hasn't gotten much recgonization because, well, it's a Squier, but it's probably better than that.
Just got a catalogue in the mail from a local music store and they're offering Digitech RP80 effects pedals at 2/3 the price.... tempting.. :twisted: .. I have NO effects pedals yet....

Digitech RP80

What do you reckon? Any good? Should I aim for something else? I'm currently down to $0 after that amp but, hey, there's next month to dream about...

Pity you're not closer by, we could go and try them out! Probably not worth flying half way round the world for though... :wink:

Cheers,

Chris
Haha, yea, "hey Chris, come fly half way around the world so we can go look in a guitar shop!"

As fot the pedal. Well, in my studies it seems like things like those Digitech Mixed Pedals (with many different effects, etc) are very good for just messing around with, practicing. Obviously having something like a tube stomp box would give you that better vibe (like tube amps are better than solid state), but usually those cost just as much, and for only one type of distortion.

Reading what that thing can do, it seems pretty awesome you can preset your own effects/settings.

As for what I wanna do. Someday I'd like to get a cheap used wah off ebay (for under 30 bucks or something), and see what it's like to have two wahs going at the same time. I'm sure it's been done before. But I wanna experiment. Just like Hendrix did. Why not, ya know? I'm sure it's been done before, but I wonder what it'd sound like to have a set up like.

Guitar>Distortion>Wah>Distortion>Overdrive>Wah>Reverb>Amp

Hmm. Too bad it cost money to do these things. :'(

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hmm. Too bad it cost money to do these things. :'(

Yeah, that's the problem... :(

I've also found that when I have a bit of gear with a lot of options I spend hours fiddling with it all and never quite seem to settle on one sound. Sometimes I wonder if I might have been better off spending the time working on getting better tone with my fingers instead of hunting through a big range of electronic possibilities. :roll:

However, I do want to get the hang of using at least some effects, so a modest pedal does seem appealing. I've just noticed that the catalague says "RP80" but the picture they've used, and the prices quoted, suggest that they're actually selling the RP50 which is a cheaper model which doesn't have the pedal on the side. Still lots of programmable options though.
As for what I wanna do. Someday I'd like to get a cheap used wah off ebay (for under 30 bucks or something), and see what it's like to have two wahs going at the same time. I'm sure it's been done before. But I wanna experiment. Just like Hendrix did. Why not, ya know? I'm sure it's been done before, but I wonder what it'd sound like to have a set up like.

Sounds like fun to me. :) Experimenting is always good. You never know what you might find out or when you're going to hit something that just suits you in some unexpected way. Good luck, and I hope you manage to scrape up some suitable gear from somewhere...

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I've also found that when I have a bit of gear with a lot of options I spend hours fiddling with it all and never quite seem to settle on one sound. Sometimes I wonder if I might have been better off spending the time working on getting better tone with my fingers instead of hunting through a big range of electronic possibilities. :roll:
lol I know what you mean. Sometimes I'll just be sitting here playing around with the wah and seeing if "wahing up" or "wahing down" (as I like to call it heh), sounds better for certain little riffs and such. Sometimes I should just be practicing.
However, I do want to get the hang of using at least some effects, so a modest pedal does seem appealing. I've just noticed that the catalague says "RP80" but the picture they've used, and the prices quoted, suggest that they're actually selling the RP50 which is a cheaper model which doesn't have the pedal on the side. Still lots of programmable options though.
Hmmm....idk, is the store anywhere close to you? You could always see what pedal is atually is that they're talking about. Who knows, even if it is the RP50, it could still be a great pedal.
Sounds like fun to me. :) Experimenting is always good. You never know what you might find out or when you're going to hit something that just suits you in some unexpected way. Good luck, and I hope you manage to scrape up some suitable gear from somewhere...
Thanks, you too. I mean, it might sound like crap, it might sound great. I'd rather just borrow a wah from a friend, but I really only have one friend who plays guitar and all he has is one of those Line 6 Pods...so that's unfortunate.

Another problem with effects is they require batteries..and that means more money. Adaptors coost money too of course. And lets not forget you need more cords to connect everything. Lol, *sigh*

ReplyQuote