Notifications
Clear all

Your First Effects Pedal

17 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@grungepb)
Topic starter  

So im at like that stage where you want to start buying and trying effects pedals to fool around with your sound. And im wondering if theres thinks I should be looking out for in your opioin or bad experinces you may have had. Im going to be slowly building up a collection of stompboxs to achieve the david gilmour sound but im wondering if you people recommend one of those floor board panel things instead that have a hold bunch of stompboxes built in.

Just wondering what you guys have to say.

-boomer

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

There's a good discussion here:
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=26699

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

No suggestions, just wanted to say welcome !

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

What I've done is to get a multi-effect box (Berhinger V-amp2) so that I can experiment with lots of options before I settle on specific effects.

My theory is that after the initial experimenting phase, I'll settle into a few comforable sounds that I keep coming back to, then I'll get a couple of (more durable) pedals to do just that, and sell off the multi effect unit.

If you do start out with individual pedals, then a board of some description to keep them together and easy to use is a good plan. Check this thread for a couple of ideas.

Or if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, something like this would be good for taking it on the road.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

korg ax10g multi, wah, EQ, bad monkey distortion, welcome 8)

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I started with the V-Amp 2...it gives you just about every effect as well as amp models...This way you can experiment with different sounds then decide what effects you want in pedals. I'll admit though...I am an effects junkie! :oops: Even though I had the V-Amp for some time I still buy a ton of pedals.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

So im at like that stage where you want to start buying and trying effects pedals to fool around with your sound. And im wondering if theres thinks I should be looking out for in your opioin or bad experinces you may have had. Im going to be slowly building up a collection of stompboxs to achieve the david gilmour sound but im wondering if you people recommend one of those floor board panel things instead that have a hold bunch of stompboxes built in.

Just wondering what you guys have to say.

I am in about the same position but since you mentioned Gilmour. I googled this. It is Gilmours rig, at least at one time it was. Surely things like this change

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

In case you haven't found this site yet..

http://www.gilmourish.com/

it has a ton of info on Sir David.
His Rig, Equipment.
Very nicely done backing tracks as well :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@grungepb)
Topic starter  

In case you haven't found this site yet..

http://www.gilmourish.com/

it has a ton of info on Sir David.
His Rig, Equipment.
Very nicely done backing tracks as well :)

yes i have, proably visit that site 4-10 times a day, y i dont know, guess i like to day dream lol

thanks for all your help and welcomes so far

-boomer

ReplyQuote
(@grungepb)
Topic starter  

I'll admit though...I am an effects junkie! :oops:

i hope to be able to afford to be one too :wink:

-boomer

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

7 band EQ nuff said.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@guitar4k)
Eminent Member

What I've done is to get a multi-effect box (Berhinger V-amp2) so that I can experiment with lots of options before I settle on specific effects.

My theory is that after the initial experimenting phase, I'll settle into a few comforable sounds that I keep coming back to, then I'll get a couple of (more durable) pedals to do just that, and sell off the multi effect unit.

This is exactly how I progressed through the effects world. I started out with a Digitech multiple effects processor. This helped me get a good feel for the different sounds out there. After maybe two years I sold off the multieffects rig because it did not offer the same versitility per effect as just single stomp boxes (I also didn't really need some of the effects for the music I was playing). Since then I have be toying with single effect boxes in an effort to develop my own sound.

So with that, it might be beneficial to start with a multi-effect unit and go from there.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I was on a long quest for my tone. I went thru many stomp boxes and pedal boards.

the pedal board, a digitech RP3, had a ton of fun in it, but not my tone.

then I found a tubescreamer.
next was a reverb or delay unit. I settled for a GiGA delay by Boss. very nice, but I dont use all the functions yet.
then an MXR compressor came along. I like it alot clean and with the tubescreamer...tons of added sustain and string clarity using it.

I was getting really close to my tone now.

I added an equalizer to control freqs and use it as a lead boost. and the final touch, becaue I play lap slide too, was an Ernie Ball volume pedal. it controls output, and I use it for cool swells in slide.

I fooled around with an assortment of Danelectro pedals and never liked any of them.
a friend had a few Zoom brand pedals. didbt like them either.

so I have settled for what I had and fiddled with the knobs on my guitar, amp, and stomp boxes and I can say I have found my tone.

tubescreamer turbo, MXR compressor, delay, and a nice tube amp (Fender Vibrolux).

my advice for starting out with nstomp boxes :
start with overdrive pedals, maybe distortion if you are into metal.
then find a delay pedal.
with just those two you can go far.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I started with a Digitech RP-12 and then just recently moved to a newer Zoom G1.2u... the nice thing about it is that it can run on batteries and you can record on your computer through it (comes with USB cable AND software). Only $150 or so and a great place to start.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

My first stompbox was a Sovtek Big Muff Pi. Ever since then I have been a product of fuzz lovin. And for some reason have about 10 fuzz pedals at my dispense. I am also a lover of the Teese wahs and also really dig UniVibe's!

But definitly a good tube amp a good overdrive pedal and a good dealy pedal will get you pretty darn far!

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2