Beatles Songs/Name the vocalist !

15 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok ,

Lets get to the point straight.You have to name a beatles song and tell who is giving the vocals in it.

Is it lennon , mccartney , harrison or starkey ? (couldn't resist that :D )

Note that , if there are chorus going on , then also mention , who is in the chorus and who is doing the lead.

And please *Resist* your temptation to mention only one song at a time.(i.e. in one post , one song and its dissection :wink:)

Then you can also mention additionally , if you want , who is doing the lead guitar , rhythm guitar , bass (well, pretty easy right ?) and drums ( Rahul - you are a dork ) and furthurmore , who wrote the song and its music and the silly trivia stuff about the fab four.(associated with that particular song you are mentioning)

So bring it on.

Now my chance -

- Get Back

Vocals & bass - Mccartney
Chorus - Lennon (occasionally , though hardly there)
Lead guitar - Lennon
Rhythm guitar - Harrison
Drums - Starr

Music and words by Macca.

Trivia - Get back was never put on the records as the Beatles wanted to , it was remastered many times before getting on the final album.

Off you go....... 8)

Rahul

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

"Her Majesty"
Vocal: Paul
trivia: shortest beatles song

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Ballad of John and Yoko:

John - Lead and harmony vocals, guitars
Paul - Harmony vocals, bass, drums

In John's words:

"It's just the story of us going along to get married. Going to Paris, Going to Amsterdam, all that. It's 'Johnny B. Paperback Writer.' It's like an old-time ballad...."

"The story came about that only Paul and I were on the record, but I wouldn't have bothered publicising that. It just sort of happened that there were only us two there - George was looking for a house somewhere, and Ringo, who was on the film set, said he couldn't come that night. Because of that, it was either a choice of mixing or doing a new one, and you always go for doing a new one instead of fiddling about with an old one. So that's what we did, and it worked out well."

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh and by the way Rahul, John - NOT George - played lead guitar on Get Back, and Billy Preston played electric piano....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You are right Vic , i was myself confused over that...

Its corrected now.

Another one -

Dear Prudence

Vocals and guitar - Lennon

Bass and drums - Paul Mccartney

Ok i know that paul could also play drums...!Awesome man :D

Trivia - Dear Prudence" is a Beatles song, from double-disc album The Beatles (also known as "The White Album"). It is about actress Mia Farrow's sister, Prudence, who was present when the Beatles visited Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in India. Prudence, focused on meditation, stayed in her room for the majority of their stay. John Lennon, worried she was depressed, wrote this song.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You are right Vic , i was myself confused over that...

Its corrected now.

Another one -

Dear Prudence

Vocals and guitar - Lennon

Bass and drums - Paul Mccartney

Ok i know that paul could also play drums...!Awesome man :D

Trivia - Dear Prudence" is a Beatles song, from double-disc album The Beatles (also known as "The White Album"). It is about actress Mia Farrow's sister, Prudence, who was present when the Beatles visited Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in India. Prudence, focused on meditation, stayed in her room for the majority of their stay. John Lennon, worried she was depressed, wrote this song.
Actually, Lennon does the fingerpicking (beautiful part), but Harrison on telecaster plays the fills. Yes, McCartney plays the drums on this one and also on "Back in the USSR", which had Lennon on bass, by the way.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey , who does the lead vocals in 'Let it Be' ?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Paul sang "Let it Be."

Question - who played drums on "Love me do?" I know, just seeing if anyone else does....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Well, there were two versions released. The first version and a few singles released had Ringo on drums, but the second version was the one that found wide release as a single and was on the lp Please Please Me. Andy White was the studio musician hired to do that drumming. The earlier version of the single was released on Past Masters, vol 1, I believe. Ringo does, however, play tambourine on the version that has White drumming.

Here's one for you-- Lennon does the Hendrix-like lead on "It's All Too Much" while George plays organ. It's a Harrison song as well.

I'm so full of Beatles-trivia I shouldn't come near this thread.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm so full of Beatles-trivia I shouldn't come near this thread.

Now Tim , don't say like that.ONE reason i started this thread was , because i wanted to know about the person doing vocals and other stuff about beatles.I can't find it at wikipedia or i won't trouble here !

And you are a storehouse of their info.So we can't live without our key player can we ? :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I agree, Tim, as the "resident Beatles fanatic" this thread was made for you!

RE Love me do:

Ringo: "I saw a drum kit that wasn't mine, and a drummer that, most definitely, wasn't me!"

Andy White: "I would often do three sessions in one day, and "Love Me Do" was just one of those sessions. I got a call in the morning saying that George Martin wanted me to replace Ringo's drumming. When Ringo walked in, I think he was surprised to see me. I don't think the other three were concerned about me drumming, but Ringo was. He had to stand at the back, playing tambourine, just to give him something to do. I was out of there in three hours, paid £5 and 15 shillings (£5.75) and I have not seen them since.

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

While my guitar gently weeps.

Vocals - I don't know really....i think its Paul or George...

Eric clapton played lead guitar *they say* and when the beatles didn't find the sound too beatlesque they put it through some machine which fattened the sound...

There is also a controversy that whether clapton used a Gibson Les paul or a Gibson SG on the this song...

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The lead is Clapton on Les Paul, although toward the end you can apparently still hear a bit of Lennon's original lead on the song that was completely wiped by Clapton's new lead track. Occasionally I can pick it out -- it's around 4 minutes or so into the song, pretty much on the outro if I recall correctly.

And, yes, the sound is varied to make it a bit less bluesy.

Harrison does the vocals and plays the acoustic guitar part on the song.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Rahul
if you like this kind of stuff you should read 'Revolution in the Head', which breaks down a lot of the Beatles songs and is full of this kind of trivia

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Even better than Revolution in the Head are two volumes by Walter Everett: The Beatles as Musicians. And, of course, either Lewisohn's Recording Sessions or Complete Beatles Chronicles or both is great as well. Lewisohn was the first to have access to all the tapes and to sort through them.

But I agree that MacDonald's book is very good.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote