Guitar hero trivia

47 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
38.3 K Views
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This should be fun if lots participate.  I am 31 so I mostly know trivia from the 80s.  I would like this post to be about the gear that the pros use.  I remember to this day what most 80s players used - from amp to pickup.  But don't think you need to talk about the 80's, feel free to post whatever you want.

I'll start with a few.

What is Steve Vai's signature guitar?

What gauge strings does Billy Gibbons primarily use?

What brand of guitar did CC Deville use?

(@Anonymous)

Ibanez Jem (or whichever damn guitar he wants!)

Depends what guitar Billy is using, but i would say 10's.

CC used to use the B C Rich Mocking bird, but apparantly, hes playing a flying V now?

Let me think of some questions and i'll post :)

Chalmodo

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

Vai likes his triple-neck, too.

As for the others, beats the hell outta me.

Who was metallica's original guitarist?

What band is he the frontman for now?

Who is the other guitarist in that band?

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

^^^ PsYcHoNIK

Dave Mustaine.

The last two are trick questions, since they disbanded almost 2 years ago. But yeah, Megadeth and Marty Friedman, although I think Marty was replaced by some guy a few years ago. Nevertheless he was the guitarist with the most staying power, so I pick him. The others don't matter.

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

To answer my own questions:

Vai's signature guitar is the Ibanez Jem.  He designed it and even included a built in carrying handle.

I read that Billy uses .08's.  He also daisy chains 8 boss distortion pedals.

Back in the 80s CC used several brands, but primarly he used BC Rich.

New questions:

1. What bands has Steve Vai played in?

2. How did Randy Rhoads die?

3. Where the heck is Vitto Bratta?

4. What pickups did Slash put in his Les Paul to record Appetite for Destruction?

5. Who was given a pink Stratocaster by Jimi Hendrix (hint: he is still playing in a famous band today)?

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

^^^ PsYcHoNIK

Dave Mustaine.

The last two are trick questions, since they disbanded almost 2 years ago. But yeah, Megadeth and Marty Friedman, although I think Marty was replaced by some guy a few years ago. Nevertheless he was the guitarist with the most staying power, so I pick him. The others don't matter.

Megadeth does not exist anymore? That is uncool. They rocked. this has been a very crappy day for me.

Marty was before my time, Id never even heard of megadeth until "countdown to extinction" album came out. Pretty sure it was ellefson... I didnt really know that answer, but I do now! Sucker! heh heh!
I Vai played for zappa for some time, randy rhodes (not sure on this one) died in a plane crash
who the heck is Vitto Bratta?

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

Marty was before my time, Id never even heard of megadeth until "countdown to extinction" album came out. Pretty sure it was ellefson... I didnt really know that answer, but I do now! Sucker! heh heh!

Marty played from around Countdown to Extinction (1992?) to about 3 or 4 years ago. I'm sure that Ellefson was the bass player.

ReplyQuote
(@slacker)

Ellefson was the bassist/co-founding member (along with Mustaine) of Megadeth. The other band member have changed very very often. Mustaine got kicked out of Metallica after their first album because of his substance abuse.

Steve Vai's sig guitar is currently the Ibanez Jem 7vwh. Nicknamed "Evo". If you look around on his website, check out his impressive photo gallery of past and present owned guitars.

Steve Vai Has played with Frank Zappa's band, Alcatrazz (replacing Yngwie Malmsteen), David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, and has made countless other contributions over the years. His first band when he was a kid was allegedly called "Hot Chocolate".

ReplyQuote
(@tugit17)

Wasn't Vito Bratta in White Lion??? :?: :?:

" He who forgets, will be destined to remember"... EV...PJ

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

Vai also wrote music for the movie Crossroads. Not the brittney spears one either. the good crossroads.

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@waltaja)
Estimable Member

here's one...

What was the first real band Jimmy Page played in?

"I got a woman, stay drunk all the time!"

-Led Zeppelin-

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

i Dont know that one. Yardbirds maybe. Heck. He did studio work before for The Who and The Kinks and such.

Ok what was the first guitar ever played by Jimmy Page? He was 13 at the time.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@alterego)
Estimable Member

Dunno much about the coz I was born in 84 (and started listening to rock juz a few years agao). So, technically (i.e. musically) I'm still in diapers. Anyway since Vai keeps coming up in thi spost, I guess any guitar question related to him or Joe Satriani wil end up in Ibanez. They depend a lot on those Japs :) A lil bit of Pink Floyd trivia here (my GODS)

1) Who acted as "Pink Floyd" in The Wall - the movie?
2) Which substance freaked out Sid Barrett to the point of getting kicked outta the band?
3) Is Pink Floyd ever gonna regroup (i.e the original line-up) before they kick the bucket?

lol, the last one was more of a wish. Anyway, why does it feel that the GNuts don't like Pink Floyd all that much? I mean other bands keep coming up in discussions but Pink floyd is a rarity (usually its me who kicks up th edust on them)...

http://poemasmuertos.blogspot.com/

ReplyQuote
(@argus)
Reputable Member

1) Who acted as "Pink Floyd" in The Wall - the movie?
2) Which substance freaked out Sid Barrett to the point of getting kicked outta the band?
3) Is Pink Floyd ever gonna regroup (i.e the original line-up) before they kick the bucket?

Bob Geldof, LSD and no.

I can't think of a question so I'll let someone else have a turn (or someone could have a crack at Izabella's post, I forgot about that).

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Ok what was the first guitar ever played by Jimmy Page? He was 13 at the time

Presumably his 1949 Gibson.

Where is Jim Morrison buried?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4