Sue Me, Sue You Blues.....

37 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
20 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Inspired by listening to George Harrison's "Living in the Material World" album........

Got to thinking, when I was listening to "Sue Me, Sue You Blues".......

George was sued over My Sweet Lord - ok he pinched the chords from "One Fine Day" - I wonder why he never sued Paul Weller when the Jam released "Start" - Weller said at the time he'd been listening to "Revolver" a lot......."Start" is a dead ringer for George's "Taxman".....virtually the same opening riff, very similar overall sound, even a very similar guitar solo - sounds like it's being played backwards........

Weller did the same thing to ELO as well - his "Changing Man" completely lifts the main riff from ELO's "10538 Overture" (their very first single) - it's even in the same key!!!

Anyone got any more "dead ringers?"

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Enya seems to have lifted the opening riff to her sail away song (something like that) from Harrison's "Blow Away". But Harrison was clearly much more generous than the Bright Songs publishing house and never raised a fuss. As he and Lennon said, there are only so many notes and songs are bound to sound like other songs. (How many 12 bars out there?)
And, of course, "Come Together" is much like Berry's "You Can't Catch Me". Lennon even made the dumb mistake of lifting a lyric (here come old flat top...), which led to the threat a suit which he settled by recording the Rock n Roll album. By the way, I don't think Berry would have benefitted at all from any of that. Again, it was the guy who held the copyrights who got bent out of shape. And, besides, "Come Together" clearly went places its predecessor hadn't.
Anyway, those are the two that come immediately to mind.
Btw, the Chiffons tune that Harrison was sued over was "He's So Fine".

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Steve Miller built a career out of recycling riffs. The intros of some of his hits are easily confused with other, previously written tunes.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

One of my favorite plagiarism cases was

John C. Fogerty
"Run Through the Jungle"

vs.

John C. Fogerty
"The Old Man Down the Road"

Really it was a battle of copyright holders, Fantasy vs Warner.

They were judged not to be copies.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

or how about Michael Bolton vs the Isley Brothers.

Michael had to pay $5 million for that.

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Michael Bolton Vs. music. We're all still paying for that one!

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

or how about Michael Bolton vs the Isley Brothers.

Michael had to pay $5 million for that.

You'd have to pay me $5 million to listen to him sing!!!

Back in the seventies, it seemed as if every band had a Brown Sugar sound-alike in their repertoire........Ma Ma Belle by ELO, Jerkin' Crocus by Mott the Hoople, Movin' On by Bad Company........

And yes it was "He's So Fine" not "One Fine Day" that Harrison was sued over.......well I got the Artist right.......and one out of three words in the title........

re Steve Miller - anyone else notice a resemblance between "Rock'n Me" and "All Right Now" by Free - at least the opening riff........

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thought of a couple more - Clapton's "Let it Grow" - from 461 ocean boulevard - bears more than a passing resemblance to "Stairway to Heaven" ......

And back in the 70's Bowie - with the Gene Genie - and the Sweet - with Blockbuster - were no.1 and no.2 with the same riff lifted from "Mannish Boy"....The Sweet kept Bowie from the no.1 spot.....

A band called Smokie - originally called Smokey, but a certain Mr Robinson objected - had a hit over here (England) around 1975 with a song called "Don't Play That Rock'n'Roll To Me" - used the same chords and the same strumming pattern as Elvis' "His Latest Flame".......

And here's a real classic - that opening riff on "Black Night" by Deep Purple (1970) - check out (We aint got) Nothing Yet by the Blues Magoos - from 1968 - and I believe that was lifted from an old Ricky Nelson song..........

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Another ripped-off riff - Take a listen to "Day Tripper" by the Beatles then listen to "Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth.......Guns'n'Roses. I am told, did a cover of this......

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Try playing the chords to "Love is all Around" and singing "As Tears Go By" - the old Stones song........

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yet another one......was messing around with guitar earlier, "Angel Of Harlem" by U2 came on the radio........

I think Bono must've been listening to "Pretty Flamingo" by Manfred Mann just before he wrote that.......the intro is the same, almost note for note...tsk tsk!

Vic

:)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK I'll have one last go at this to see if I can generate any interest.....

1) take a copy of "You've lost that Lovin' feelin" by the Righteous Bros.
2) fast forward to the end of the second verse.......
3) listen to the bass-line just before Bill Medley comes back in with "Baby baby, I'll get down on my knees for you......"
4) play said bass-line twice as fast........

answers on a postcard please.........!!!

c'mon, see if anyone can get this one........!!!!

Vic

there must be literally thousands of sound-alikes out there.....!!!

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Wouldn't that sound alot like Hang on Sloopy by The Mccoys?

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah Celt it does....but the one I was thinking of was the opening riff to Summer Nights from the Grease soundtrack....can't believe nobody spotted that!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

If you (I mean me) starts playing "Stand By Me" by Ben E King and then don't concentrate on the rythem & speed that I'm playing its oh so easy to slip into Elton John's "Crocodile Rock".

Sacriblur !!! (don't think I spelt that right)

Purely un-intentional plagurism on my part but what about Elton?

Is it only me this happens to?

Answers on this forum please

Regards all,
Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3