Clear all

The Wolfman!

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've been thinking about how many songs there are about Wolfman Jack or featuring the Wolfman. I can think of two right off the top of my head:

1. Clap for the Wolfman (The Guess Who)
2. Living On The Highway (Freddie King)

How many others are there?

(Sidebar for the younger folks: Once upon a time, radio stations played good music. And they had people called disk jockeys. These disc jockeys were responsible for being witty and engaging and, most importantly, really knowing their music and how to put together a good mix of tunes.

These disc jockeys could be witty, engaging and entertaining without engaging in pre-pubescent sophistry like prank phonecalls or spending their time denegrating other people. In these halcyon days of yore, a few of these disc jockeys rose to a status of popularity on par with the rock stars whose music they played.

Alan Freed was the first of these disc jockeys to become a sensation, but the greatest of them all was a guy named Wolfman Jack. Born Bob Smith, the Wolfman got his start at an AM station in North Mexico that had enough wattage to blanket North America. The Wolfman became an icon of radio.)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

I always liked Werewolf of London by Warren Zevon

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Umm, not quite the same thing.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Wolfman Jack was an integral part of the storyline in American Graffiti. For those who've seen that flick, and maybe don't realize it, Wolfman is the DJ.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

he was also a hells angel, or so i heard.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Not the same thing again I know but comes from a great band the track is called "Wolfman and the Clown" [Instrumental] and comes from the film "Restless Natives" the score being written and performed by "Big Country"

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

In these halcyon days of yore

:lol:

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Anyone remember a TV series called "Dark Skies?" - a sci-fi thing that came out on the back of the X-files a few years ago, but it was actually pretty good...there was one episode featured the Beatles coming to America, subliminal advertising, etc....the Wolfman was featured pretty heavily in that episode....

Another episode featured a young photographer/artist called Jim Morrison, and if I remember correctly, Donny Most...."Ralph Malph" in Happy Days...played Dr Timothy Leary in another episode.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

When I first moved to Germany, we'd often listen to American Force's Radio and we used to listen the Wolfman regularly.

Oh, the halcyon days of DJs having a say in what they played.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote