204 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
64.9 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

EDIT.....

The rules are pretty simple - this is sort of like "six degrees of seperation" for musicians - example, musician A played in a band with musician B - B wrote a song with C - C mariied D's Daughter - D recorded (insert title of song) which was covered by E - E comes from (insert town/city) as does F....make the links as long or as short as you like "A was in a band with B" for example - but try and make them interesting....I discovered Keb Mo' & Biffy Clyro through the original thread, and now own CD's by them - c'mon, Don't Let Me Down! - as Lennon would say!!!

End of edit, back to thread....

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OK, no one's had a go at this for a while....

People in Planes, huh? can't say they ever crossed my musical horizon....but I can think of a lot of old rockkers who died in planes, most notably Buddy Holly.....

Buddy wrote "Well Alright" which I've just been listening to on the radio... it was the Santana version though....Carlos, in the 70's, struck up a friend ship with John McLaughlin (not sure if that's spelled correctly, but never mind) and they recorded together....

so........

John whatever-his-name-is (McLoughlin?) anyone?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Don't forget JOHN DENVER , who died in a plane crash :( :( :(

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I could've picked ANY old rocker who died in a plane crash....I just happened to go with Budddy, and work my way to J.Mc....

John McLoughlin, anyone?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

John McLaughlin played with Devadip Carlos Santana. And in recent years, Santana has played with an interesting assortment of people or covered songs by them. One of the most interesting is African Rocker Angelique Kido.

Okay, Angelique Kido!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

In 2003, Ms. Kido participated on an album called Cover the World, she chose to cover Voodoo Chile By Jimi Hendrix. Ms. Kido is not the first nor I am sure will she be the last to cover this tune, however one of the most famous covers of it was done by Stevie Ray Vaughn if you please

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

SRV, eh? Well, SRV played Reading festival 1983. Tetra Splendour also played at Reading festival, on the Carling stage in 2002. After being unceremoniously dropped from their record label, they repackaged themselves and became...

People In Planes.

(They're signed to Wind-Up and released a single called Talking Heads, there's got to be a link to a Beatle or a highly-regarded 1970s guitarist in there somewhere)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ah I see Tucker - they're from Cardiff, so support your local hot band eh....

Well good luck to the lads....I took the time to look at their website, seems they've got a US contract, so they're obviously getting some where....AND THEY NEED A FEW FRIENDS TO SPREAD THE WORD..... you're doing a good job so far.....

Anyway back to the thread.....

They had a single called Talking Heads.....reminds me of a pretty good bamd from the late 70's/early 80's....David Byrne of TH collaborated with Brian Eno several times, Eno was the original keyboard/synth player with Roxy Music....their sax player, Andy Mackay, played on "All The Way From Memphis" by Mott The Hoople.....so,

Mott The Hoople it is.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Mott the Hoople had a big hit with David Bowie's "All the Young Dudes". David Bowie's first number one hit came when he co-wrote Fame with John Lennon.

Lennon!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Where to go from Lennon....

OK, got it.....

Lennon's bass player in the Plastic Ono Band was Klaus Voorman, who not only designed the cover for "Revolver" but also played bass, at one time, for Manfred Mann.....who almost made a career out of Covering Dylan songs - Just Like A Woman, If You Gotta Go, Mighty Quinn and You Angel You spring to mind....

So Robert Zimmerman it is then....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Okay, Mr Zimmerman played at the Concert for Bangladesh with Ringo and George and Leon Russell on bass. So let's take it away with

Leon Russell!

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Leon Russell famously almost ran Joe Cocker's "Mad Dogs and "Englishmen" tour almost single-handedly, he picked the songs, arranged them, played guitar and keyboards, drove the bus and made the tea....

Mr Cocker did probably the finest cover of a Beatles song ever - "With A Little Help From My Friends"....he's from Sheffield, as are the other J.Cocker (Jarvis) The Human League, Heaven 17 and ....

Def Leppard......

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

No one's had a go at this for a while - was my pet project in games and trivia, but since the first thread got deleted, seems no-one's picked back up on it - I'm going to edit the top post and add the rules - well guidelines!!!

Def Leppard.......your starter......

Anyone?

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I'll give it a shot, Vic! :D

OK... Def Leppard, so....

Def Leppard are one of only five rock bands with two original albums selling over 10 million copies each in the U.S. The others are The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Van Halen.

I choose......

Pink Floyd

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Elecktra me old mate of the female persuasion.....

Pink Floyd eh?

OK, in the Cavern Pub - in Liverpool - there's a guitar signed by a certain D. Gilmour, a white strat he used when playing with McCartney at the Cavern club... first time Macca had played there since the 60's (this was in '99)....couple of display cases down, there's this weird, short scale (maybe 3/4 size) rectangular - shaped guitar used by Bo Diddley.....

Bo Diddley, anyone?

(These links can be as far-out (ouch, that's a sixties phrase!) or esoteric as you want to make 'em....just make 'em interesting....hell, we may even learn something!!!!

Bo Diddley - your starter for ten! (As they say on "University Challenge")......

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Bo Diddley wrote a number of exceptionally well-covered songs - of which my favourite's probably "I'm a Man", covered brilliantly by The Yardbirds. Of course the Yardbirds' most famous graduate is Eric Clapton, but that's too obvious ;-) Let's try their third and final lead guitarist,

Jimmy Page

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 14