Clear all

What was #1 on the day you were born.

19 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
12.8 K Views
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

what is a "smokey moke". Or any other kind of moke for that matter?
"Moke" is an old term for "donkey". In the 60's, there was a version of the mini, which had a sort of Jeep-like bodywork and was called a "mini-moke", which probably explains the "smokey moke"

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

One of my favourite songs - Cathy's Clown by the Everly Brothers.

It sort of makes things a lot better when you've got a decent song that was number 1 when you were born. I feel sorry for people being born now to number 1 songs by Britains-Got-Pop-X-Idol-Talent-Factor manufactured pop karaoke winners or DJ-Muppet-and-the-Hopeless-Half-Dozen-featuring-somebody-you've-never-heard-of-and-never-will-again-but-has-the-word-cool-in-his-name-and raps-really-badly sampling something sort of ok that was a hit for someone else ten years ago.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

Surrender - Elvis Presley

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

In the UK - "Yes Tonight, Josephine" by Johnny Ray. I never heard of him till about '83 when Dexy's Midnight Runner's hit #1 with "Come On Eileen," which opened with the line, "Poor Old Johnny Ray..." and then all the DJ's were falling over themselves to see who could give us the most useless information about him......

In the USA - "Love Letters In The Sand" by Pat Boone....puh-leeeeze, I thought this was the rock'n'roll era? Elvis, Jerry Lee, Fats, Little Richard?

In Australia - "The Green Door" by Jim Lowe. Never heard his version, but there was a decent version of the same song at #1 in the early 80's.

Jeez, how the hell did I ever grow up to be an out-and-out rock'n'roller!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2