Clear all

Which one are you?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@spiritinthesky)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

A study of more than 36,000 people from around the world concluded that musical tastes and personality type were closely related.

The research, which was carried out by Professor Adrian North of Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh in the UK suggested classical music fans were shy, while heavy metal fans were gentle and at ease with themselves.

Fans of Indie music had low self-esteem and were not hard working, fans of Rap music had high self-esteem and were outgoing. Country & Western fans were hardworking and outgoing, Reggae fans were creative but not hardworking, and fans of chart pop had high self-esteem, were not creative, but where hardworking and outgoing.

From www.thisdayinmusic.com

Which one are you?

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7598549.stm

Is the link.

Lies, damn lies and statistics me thinks.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

"Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." - Mark Twain

Which one am I?

Can I say all of the above?

I have many hundreds of LPs/CDs ranging from blues to symphonic to rock, to jazz, to Latin American, to Indian, to Chinese Classical, to Tuvan throat singing, to Klezmer, to top40 (then and now), to Gypsy, to swing, to fusion, to Fado, to Soca, to Reggae, and dozens of other genres.

I just love music. Not that I like all examples from every genre, but I do like to listen to many different styles as they all have different ways of expressing emotions.

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Me too. I have a lot of students into indie music, so I listen to it often. I listened to rap before it had a name - I was a huge fan of Gil Scott-Heron back in the 70s. Country isn't on the top of my list right now, but I've listened to plenty over the years - from old stuff (Hank Williams) to new country (Tim McGraw et al) - and I've spent hours taking apart changes from Bob Wills and the Teas Playboys. Reggae? One of the best shows I've ever seen was Third World.

I also love Soca, classical - everything from Gregorian Chant to Milton Babbit - bluegrass, Texas swing, bebop...

I'ts not just me. My son, who's toured with several alt punk groups, listens to a lot of Stravinsky, Beach Boys, and Tom Lehrer. The last time I was over at his place he was playing Sam Cooke nonstop.

I constantly have students who've been working on nothing but hard rock and completely surprise me by wanting to learn a tune by Tommy Dorsey. Or who have been working on nothing but jazz, and suddenly want to do some Carulli.

Most musicians listen to a lot of stuff.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

<...>
Most musicians listen to a lot of stuff.

Before Internet radio, some of the best jazz stations in the US were in Nashville (they might still be there, I haven't been to Nashville in many years)

Many classical themes have found their way into rock songs. And not just by ELP, the Moody Blues or Procol Harem, but Led Zeppelin, Dan Fogelberg, Eric Carmen, Barry Manilow and others.

John Lord and Ian Gillan wrote a Concerto For Group And Orchestra and it was first performed by Deep Purple and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (you won't find themes from "Smoke On The Water" in there)

And the other way around, Tolga Kashif wrote a symphony based on the songs from the rock group, Queen (The Queen Symphony) - you will hear themes from "Bohemian Rhapsody", "We Will Rock You" and others in there.

The folk/rock artist Joni Mitchell released an album of songs by the jazz great Charlie Mingus.

The great jazz clarinetist Benny Goodman was also a Klezmer musician.

When the band I was in was being courted by Motown, it was not uncommon for members of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra to be there recording R&B songs.

Clint Black used to warm his band up on Steely Dan songs.

I had the pleasure of meeting Chet Atkins who told me he really wanted to play jazz guitar but there wasn't any money in it.

Antonio Carlos Jobim is said to have composed many of his songs by using Duke Ellington tunes as his inspiration and springboard.

I played in a rock band with an organist who also played pipe organ in a cathedral. We would go there "after hours" and he could whip out those Bach Canons and Fugues and make it look easy. While I'm not a big Baroque or Classical fan, it is quite thrilling to hear them in the context in which they were invented. Something about the acoustics of the church, the 64' pipes rattling the body, and the sound of all those four different pipe rooms coming from different directions was sublime.

I am now in a duo that does a variety of music, which I like a lot. Not only is it fun to listen to different kinds of music, it's fun to put on those different "hats" and express a different part of yourself.

Life is too short to enjoy only one kind of music.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

So you're an extrovert that prefers to be alone. A lazy over achiever with lots of confidence in yourself, low self esteem and depending on your mood can be gentle or aggressive?

....and you know I've been taking medication for that for years. If only I knew about this study before.

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

Oops, my secret is out.

But the medication is the best part!!!

:lol:

Bob "Notes" Norton

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Reggae fans were creative but not hardworking

Huh? Whuh??? Is this today? Do my feet look big in this shirt?

Ha!

VERY Merry Chritmas, everyone!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

So you're an extrovert that prefers to be alone. A lazy over achiever with lots of confidence in yourself, low self esteem and depending on your mood can be gentle or aggressive?

....and you know I've been taking medication for that for years. If only I knew about this study before.

What? You have medication? What on Earth for? We're the normal ones - it's the rest of 'em that need help..............

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote