A Kick in the right direction?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@electrickoolaid)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I'm having a little bit of a problem. Im trying to reorganize my playing time to incorporate a bit more theory. I have a few songs (acoustic) under my belt now, but am more interested in the blues, so my time has pretty much been dedicated to learning blues songs. However, apart from improvising with 12 bar in A and E, I seem to be going round in circles a bit. Before i attempt to learn more songs i feel that it might be the right time to concentrate on a little theory.

I know that intervals are important, but what about chord formations, scales, triads etc... should there be a particular order i should be learning these? Or maybe there's something more specific i should be learning for the blues? I have to say it's hard to try and balance theory v's playing, im desperate to just pick up and play the stuff i already know but i suppose in the long run, that wont get me very far.

I would be eternally greatful if anyone could advise me on this dilema.

Many Thanks

Electric Kool Aid

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You might try working on the scales, perhaps beginning with the pentatonic. You'll derive most blues solos from the minor pentatonic scale.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@electrickoolaid)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Have got the blues scale in a couple of positions and minor pentatonic. I did come across a site which said you should'nt learn individual scales, according to the site its best to learn the patterns, ie. minor pentatonic, dorian, mixolodyan. I take it if i learn these shapes and play the starting note eg G 3rd fret, that will automatically become G dorian or mixolodyan etc.....
The website wasnt exactly clear on this.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yes, if I understand your question correctly, that's the case. Don't worry too much about the modes at the moment. Check out David's lesson on Scales within Scales. The title suggests a really good way of thinking about all of this modal business. I'll think you'll find his lesson helpful.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@electrickoolaid)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for that, am reading it now!

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Here is a great link that Musenfreund turned me onto a few days ago, it really helped me and maybe it can help you:
http://www.jmdl.com/howard/music/guitar_faq.html#chord

By the way, thanks again Musenfreund, that site really helped! 8)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote