Clear all

Ab or G#?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Darn, could a kind mod kick this to the theory section, it somehow ended up here...

In a little composition of mine I ended up with a chord progression that's very basic but still leaves me wondering on how to notate it. And since I don't want to look like an arse when I show it to my piano teacher I would very much appreciate some help. :)

The song is in C and used the following progression:
C-Fm-C-Fm
Dm-E-Dm-E
Dm-G9-C-C

The first question is about how to notate the Fm and E. The Fm would usually be F Ab C and E-major E G# B but it looks awkard with both an G# and Ab in there. Anyone knows how these chords should be notated? Another question is the G9: basically it's a three-note 'chord' consisting of an F G and A note, with the G being the root. I approached it as a G9 because it would make a V-I progression with the C, but maybe I should call it an Fadd9 or maybe even an Aaug7? Please save me from this confusion. :D

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I'd go for both Ab and G# where appropriate, Arjen
The Ab is correct as it's the third of the subdominant minor of C major.

The G# is correct in that the chord containing it, (although further out of key) is definitely E major, and is plainly heard as a triad (even if the tonal centre is less clear at that point) - It's not any kind of chord containing an Ab.

I agree that the root of the last chord is G not F or A because its dominant function in the key of C is clear.
Very nice piece by the way :)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'd do the same as Fretsource - these are 'accidental' chords, and priority is given to writing the chord in a recognizable fashion... i.e. in thirds.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I agree. Lots of stuff like that happens in Jazz charts, it stops looking wierd after a bit :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Guess the experts all agree on this one. Thanks people! :D

ReplyQuote