(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I came across this chord today......
E A D G B E
0 2 3 2 3 0

And wondered what it is....!!!!

Notes are E,B,F,A,D and E;

Best I can come up with is Dm6/add9 (there's no b7) or E7sus4/b9......

the Dm6/9 looks less clumsy, but with the E as the bass note - and given that the chord comes between F and E, and elsewhere in the song there's an E7sus4....0 2 0 2 0 0....between the F and E chords, I'm more inclined to the latter....especially as the Dm6/9 has an E in the bass and would be Dm6(add9)/E.....

Any ideas?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I think E7sus... seems more correct given what you've said, but I'd wait for Noteboat to confirm. Or do what worked for Hendrix and name it "a Vic Lewis chord" :wink:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Well, let's start by assuming that the root is in the chord.

If it's E, you have E-B-D-F-A, 1-5-b7-b9-11. When using an 11th chord, it's common to drop the third (if it's a major third), so that's E11b9.

If it's B, you have B-D-F-A-E. 1-b3-b5-b7-11. That's a half-diminished chord with an added note; Bm7b5/11.

If it's F, you have F-A-E-B-D, or 1-3-7-11-13. Fifths are optional in extended chords, and the 9th doesn't have to be present in a 13th chord... so Fmaj13

If it's A, then it's A-E-B-D-F, which is 1-5-9-11-13. Since there's no 7th, we'd call the 13 a 6th, and you'd have 1-5-6-9-11. With no third, you might go with A6/9sus.

And if it's D, it's D-F-A-E-B, 1-b3-5-9-13. Again, with no 7th, that 13 is really a 6 - so that's Dm6/9

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

So, its "a Vic Lewis chord" then.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Scrybe, I wouldn't call it a sus - since it has both the 7th and 9th, it makes sense that it's an 11th, and the third is dropped.

sus7 chords are common in quartal harmony, but then it would usually be voiced 1-4-b7.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

To put it in context.....it's from "California Dreaming" by the Mamas and Papas. A friend sent me a rather confused tab and I'm trying to tidy it up a little.....this is what I've got for the first verse.....
California Dreaming.

4/4 time.

Intro....

Three bars of Am, then one bar of E7sus4 (0 2 0 2 0 0)

Then....

E7sus4 Am G F
All the leaves are brown
(all the leaves are brown)

G E7sus4 E
And the sky is grey (and the sky is grey)

F C E Am
I've been for a walk
(I've been for a walk)

F (Fmaj13?E11b9?) E
On a winter's day (on a winter's day,

I've denoted the chord (LOL Scrybe - I suppose it's a "John Phillips" chord as he wrote the music...) as (Fmaj13?E11b9?)above.....as there's both an F and an E chord in there (I'm not too good on key signatures!).....does that help in naming it?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

A couple of things don't add up there NoteBoat.
If it's F root, then the B is a #4: (F maj13/#11?)
If it's A then the F is a b6 (Amaj b6/9sus?). By the way, is the 9sus here referring to the fact that 9 is present and 3 isn't? like the infamous sus2 that livens up the forum now and again :D Or is there another reason for it? I don't think I've ever encountered the term sus9.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Silly me - right on both the F and the A, Fretsource.

I wouldn't call the 9 a "sus" though, under any circumstances. 9s are "add" when there's no 7th. Since there's no third in the voicing if A is the root, whether it's a b6/9 or a mb6/9 would depend on the surrounding chords.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Having just seen the context in Vic's post I think the root is E.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I wouldn't call the 9 a "sus" though, under any circumstances. 9s are "add" when there's no 7th. Since there's no third in the voicing if A is the root, whether it's a b6/9 or a mb6/9 would depend on the surrounding chords.
That's why I was confused about your calling it a sus9. I assumed it must be an acceptable term in some quarters. Yes - dead right about the missing 3rd meaning it can't be called maj or min out of context - I missed that one.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It certainly is a strange chord - I've never come across it anywhere before! It's also a bugger to change to from an F chord - there's no obvious "pivot" for a finger. Best I can manage at the moment is to play the E7sus4 chord for a beat (index on the A string, 2nd finger on the G string) then to add the other two notes (3rd finger on the Dstring, pinky on the B string) as soon as possible - doesn't sound too bad, anyway.

Thanks yet again for your help, guys! I don't know where I'd be without you! (Probably scratching my head, trying to work out the difference between majors, minors and 7ths.........)

While the E note looks and sounds like the root, I'm tempted to go with E11b9....for now, anyway!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

That's why I was confused about your calling it a sus9. I assumed it must be an acceptable term in some quarters. Yes - dead right about the missing 3rd meaning it can't be called maj or min out of context - I missed that one.

Sorry, NoteBoat. My mistake. You didn't call it a sus 9 but a 6/9 sus. So, the "sus" is referring to the 4th D, not the 2nd (or 9th) B.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

As for part of that, it took me a while to finally realize that a sus/6 chord was just an awkward way of describing a IV chord. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As for part of that, it took me a while to finally realize that a sus/6 chord was just an awkward way of describing a IV chord. :lol:

Ric, if by sus/6 chord you mean a sus4 chord with an added 6th, it would be the "add9" of the IV chord....

Example; A sus4/6...x 0 4 2 3 0...

in the key of A, you've got A (root) on the 5th and 3rd strings, D(fourth) on the 2nd string, E(5th) on the 1st string, and F# (6th).....

if you take D(IV in the key of A) as the root, you've got D(root) F#(3rd) and A(fifth)...that's the major triad - but you've also got the E on the 1st string, which is the 9th....no flattened 7th, so it's a Dadd9 chord....

One of those chords Keith uses a lot in open G....

x 0 0 0 0 0.....G
x 0 2 0 1 0.....Cadd9

(But you knew THAT bit already, didn't you!)

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it's an old standard blues lick to hammer on and off of that in Open G, or move it over one string toward the bass in Open D like Booker White did in Aberdeen, Mississippi, for instance.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2