Clear all

Asus(minor 13) chord help

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Got an email from a friend last night asking if I had any clue about this chord and Asus4(minor 13) plus the fingering for same. Apparently he is learning a song that calls for these two chords. Noteboat I looked in my Theory book and in your chapter on extended chords it looks like maybe the info is there but my addled brain can't figure it out at my level. 7 notes? Grow another finger? Any and all help appreciated
Robbie

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yep, 13th chords have 7 notes - the trick is knowing which ones to leave out.

What you're looking at isn't a 13th chord though...

When chord names have things in parenthesis, they're notes altered or added to the basic chord. So you might see Am7(13) or similar names at times - that would be an Am7 chord with a 13th added. A chord like that won't have the 9th or 11th in it.

So what you'd need would be Asus (A-D-E) and a b13 (F). You could finger that as x02231.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx Tom, I knew you couldn't resist!! Apparently it is used in the outro to "Dust in The Wind" I didn't know that when I posted the original Q.

ReplyQuote
(@niliov)
Trusted Member

I have a question! I am really curious as to what the next chord is after the Asus in the progression of your friend. Could you find out and post it?

Thx,
niliov

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

If it's the published version of Dust In The Wind, the outro consists of three chords cycling around in a "repeat and fade" mode:

Am Asus2 Asus4(b13) Am Asus2 etc.,

These are played with Travis style picking, pinching the open A and whatever note's on the B string on the first beat and, for the most part, ignoring the G string entirely.

Am - X02(X)10

Asus2 - X02(X)00

Asus4(b13) - X2(X)31

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@naviens)

Noteboat, got a question for you. Is this Asus2 chord legitimat in this content or should I see it as an Esus4? I've just reread your answer on this in another thread where you talked about delayed harmony and I find it much more logical to look at this like "we've got a C in Am that moves to a B first, then to a D and finally comes back home to a C". Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Naviens

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You have it exactly right, Naviens. Traditional harmony would see the entire phrase as being an Am chord, with a melody that moves from C to B to D to C.

But guitarists like to name fingerings, whether or not they're technically chords.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanx David that too will help. Niliov I assume David's reply helps you out. The tab my friend was working from was not the official published version, just one he grabbed off Chordie. com

ReplyQuote