Clear all

B.B. King Box (Blues improvisation)

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mamboman)
Topic starter  

Hi All,

I've been playing around with Blues melody recently. Playing with the Minor Pentatonic and Blue Notes, etc. Anyway, last night I noticed reference to the BB King Box and Albert King Box. It looks like a pattern they use when improvising. Can't find anything on the internet. Do any of you know about this? I'm wondering if there are any sequences or tricks used with it.

Thanks

Mamboman

sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I believe that BB main box was the Major Pentatonic and Albert's was the Minor Pentatonic, which is the same 'pattern' three frets above.

For instance, in the key of B, BB might play from the (but not limited to) the B Major box at the 4th fret. Moving it up 3 frets to the 7th position will give you the B Minor box. Add the flatted 5th for the 'Blues Note'.

Sorry, but I'm at a loss for making illustrations on this site.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

SirN this may help you play towards B.B. King's style, I can't help you with Albert King!!!!

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa052901b.htm

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@mamboman)
Topic starter  

Hay, thanks for both of your posts. There's so much info in that B.B. King lesson. I wish it was that easy! :-)

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

:D

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

According to guitar one magazine, the albert king box is the same thing; a pentatonic shape with the root starting on the 2nd fret.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote