common chord progressions

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Firstly, i accidently posted this in hear here :oops:
so i hope the mods have deleted it by now, how i made that mistake i dont know - i apologise mods :oops: .

anyway, here it is:

I have been working on my part for the summertime blues jam Dan T posted (it'll soon be done Dan).

i often struggle with these because i find it extremely difficult to figure out chords by ear. anyway, this one was not so hard, as it was a simple blues progression, so when i found the 1 chord, i didnt have to figure out the others, as i could predict what they would be.

this got me thinking.

what are the most common chord progressions used in rock/pop?? if i could learn the most common progressions it would most certainly help me figure out chords to songs more easily - as currently i tackle one chord at a time with no clue as to what may or may not be next - its painfully slow. :x

thanks in advance. AL

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

(@davidhodge)

These two articles may help:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/a-before-e/

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/unearthing-the-structure/

The other thing that helps a lot is remembering your Circle of Fifths. Chords tend to gravitate from V to I, even with minors, so there's always a good chance that one chord will be followed by the chord it's a fifth of. Am goes to Dm goes to G, for instance.

And it goes without saying that you'll always find things outside the "norm," right? :wink:

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thats terrific, just what i needed. thank you Sir :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote