Skip to content
Consonance and Diss...

Notifications
Clear all

Consonance and Dissonance... Resolve THIS!

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@losodo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ah yes... Consonance and Dissonance. I am quite curious about these things.

From what I've been reading, Consonance and Dissonance are important aspects of music. This moved me to search out ways to improve how I used these concepts.

This is tough because from what I understand chords/intervals that sound 'dissonant' have changed over the years, are influenced by cultures, time periods, etc...

Somewhere I got the idea that Diminished and Augmented chords are dissonant and need to be resolved. Which I've tried. I've resolved these chords into Major or Minor chords and it sounds pretty good sometimes.

I remember when I first learned chords I always loved the Major and Minor chords, but when I struck my first Diminished chord I was like "ouch!". Now I see that this is needed (depending on the application) to create tension/release.

Any thoughts on the subject? 8)

First I bought it, then I paid for it.

(@corbind)
Noble Member

I personally don't like either dim or aug chords. They shock me. When I hear them in songs I pray they'll quickly resolve to anything.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

David tackled this topic in Augmented Diminished Dementia. I'd suggest taking a look at that article for some insights.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@losodo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. 8)

First I bought it, then I paid for it.

ReplyQuote