Clear all

country question

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@beans7178)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

so lately ive been getting into country music, and ive noticed it has a very distinct sound to it even when using normal everyday chords such as a d chord when played it "sounds" country if that makes snese now im thinking this has somehting to do with strumming techniques or somehitng along those lines but im not sure exactly what it would be. or is there a theoretical explanation for why this type of thign occurs?

chec out my music
http://www.myspace.com/spencerbeasleymusic
pm if u like it or send me a message on myspace

sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Were you Chicken Picken' that D chord?

Much country music is in major keys, as opposed to rock, which tends to go minor, especially the real hard stuff. Maybe that's why, but I can't say for sure 'cause I've never played guitar nor do I listen to music.

I just happened along this web site by accident. :?

Dr. Hugh Janus 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Don't you know? That's what happens when you play a telecaster! Playing "Enter Sandman" *poof* suddenly sounds just like "Friends in low places". Just like that.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@beans7178)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hey thanx for that wonderful sarcastic response, and im playing an acoustic cuz im to poor to own a telecaster.

chec out my music
http://www.myspace.com/spencerbeasleymusic
pm if u like it or send me a message on myspace

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Check out some of Fender's import Teles and Strats. Many of them are decent quality and cheap! 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's not a theory thing, it's psychological (which is a big part of music)

By the time you hear that D chord in a country song, you've already heard some chords in a 'country style', so the D sounds country in context.

The same chord in a blues tune will sound 'bluesy'... in another song it'll 'be 'folky', etc.

Play it all by itself and it sounds like all of those, or none of those, depending on your frame of mind.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Country guitar does have some techniques that are common to the genre and give it it's distinct sound. Chords are often played with an alternating Bass/Strum style with runs in between. Here is an example.

Alternating Bass/Strum with run

e-----2--2-----2--2------------------------2--2-----2--2-----
b-----3--3-----3--3------------------------3--3-----3--3-----
g-----2--2-----2—-2------------------------2--2-----2--2-----
d-0--------------------0----------------0-----------------0--
a-----------0---------------0---2---4-------------0----------
e------------------------------------------------------------

Most lead guitar in Country is played with the Major or Major Pentatonic scale. Country guitarists are known for playing fast and tend to pick most notes. Not as much use of the hammer-on or pull-off as in Rock or Blues. And not too many Country pickers play with distortion. :D

Here's a classic Country lead guitar bend that will sound just like a steel guitar.

hold hold ``

e------10--------------------------
b--------------10------------------
g----------------------9^----------
d----------------------------------
a----------------------------------
e----------------------------------

Play the notes at the 10th fret with your pinky in a little mini-barre. Bend the note at the 9th with your ring finger, with the middle finger assisting. Let the notes at the 10th ring or sustain. Make the bend slow. You will hear this bend many times in Country. It is from the D Major Pentatonic 1st position (7th fret).

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote