Clear all

creating altered tension

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey awhile ago I tried to post somethin about changin scales for a chord and I found in this book basically what I was thinking of only its correct haha and I thought it would be helpful to you folks. Its kinda a trick to sounding awsome but you gotta know you stuff or this wont make any sense. Here goes.

This is for improvising over a functioning dominant chord (i.e. a dominant chord that is part of a chord progression)
A dominant chord is a point of tension in the progression so to sound awsome soloing over it it is necessary to create tension with your solo. To do this play any of 4 scales in a specific position relative to the dominant chord. The major scale up a half step. Also the natural, dorian, or melodic minor up a half step or down a whole step. Doing this will create altered tension and everyone will be like man this guys on the edge hows he gonna get out of this one. Well if i were you id relieve the tension, to do this (wait till the rhythm returns to a non dominant chord) simply switch back to your root note targeting and everyone will be like phew that was close man this guy rocks. Give it a try.

As this is a technique to create tension, and too much tension sounds like crap, be careful and get a grip on it before you unleash the fury.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

I believe that is because you are effectively getting into diminished scale work there. I learnd how do that with chords a while back. Essentially, Dim7 chords resolve back a half step in either direction. So if you are playing those minor scales a half step above the root of a dom7, you are going to get the same result.

Don't hold me to it in a court of law, but I believe it goes something like that...

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote