Clear all

Dm(4)

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@alouden)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am going to play Mary Did You Know for my daughter this year and this chord is listed in the music. Not quite sure what it is.

Help appreciated.

Thanks,
Allen

(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

I can't find that chord in the song; I quickly scanned through the sheet music as well as some online chord charts. There are a few using D2 but I don't see Dm4. What key are you playing in? Can you link to the full chord chart you're using?

It could mean Dm11, or since it's in ( )s it could mean to toggle the 4 note (G) while playing the Dm. :?:

ReplyQuote
(@alouden)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I dont have the book at work with me. I believe it is in Am. First and ending chord. No sharps or flats. A regular Dm sounds fine I was just curious as to what the (4) meant.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

You wouldn't see 4 in a chord symbol, except for sus4. All other uses are considered 11.

My best guess: it refers to an inversion. I've seen some songbooks that list chords with numbers keyed to fingerboard charts... if your book includes a fingering section, check it to see if there are four different Dm chords :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@alouden)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

No chord charts in the book, so it remains a mystery. Guess I'll play a regular Dm, which sounds fine.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

One more guess... it might mean to play four strings :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote